Fouling out

muskygirl

Cadet
Ok, here is my problem. Right now with all the rain, I can't run the motor past a no wake speed. I have been also told that I may be running the oil/gas mixture to rich as we have some smoking. So when we get to the launch, the motor turns over right away (with clean plugs). We get to our spot and shut her down and then use the trolling motor for our fishing for the rest of the day. Go to start the motor to get us to the launch/trailer on and it won't start.

Once home, we pull the plugs, clean them and she fires right back up.

Looking for some help in how to fix this. We are looking at no wake for some time now and so this could get to be quite the pain in the butt. Some one told about a filter for the fuel line - would this help too? Any help with this problem would be great.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fouling out

Does that engine have a name and model number, Muskygirl?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Fouling out

A couple of things can cause fouled plugs, you just need to test each to rule them out.

Start with compression and a spark test

post your results

Also, what plugs are you using, usually once fouled they are never the same no matter how well you clean them, it could be as simple as time for a new set, but compression and spark test should be done at least annually just to stay ahead of a problem out on the water.

Oh, what fuel mix are you running?

Last edited: