'75 Johnson 4hp Need some info PLEASE !!!

WATERTIMES

Seaman
Okay... I know I don't use proper terms for engine parts but that doesn't mean I'm totally ignorant.I have mechanical experience,I'v changed out a 4.3
v-6 chevy motor,to a 305 v-8 by myself with little instruction,with no problems, the first time ever changing out a motor,needless to say my father & brothers were very IMPRESSED.
What I'm kinda feeling here is you see my words, and my questions I ask and think I'm ignorant. Thats not so. I did in fact figure out what was causing the flywheel issue before I looked on here for a response, but should have did a run through before I came to the site for answers.Yes I do have a service manual but mine doesn't specify that if you don't have the coils aligned right the flywheel won't turn.
Now I have another QUESTION..... that I can't seem to find in the service manual........ I'm getting what looks to be a milky color fuel coming out of the
carbs choke , I did a {as mentioned before in a earlier thread} points,condersers,coils,fuel pump. I had the engine runing for about 2hrs,
ran very good then suddenly at high speed it lost power, died out,started right up but at high speed now is like slow speed w/ a milky color fuel coming out of the carb choke.I also noticed that the welch plug had a cold frosty look,which would indicate to me an air leak,in the carb.I just did a carb tune up on it yesterday thinking that
was the problem w/ high speed runin the way it is thats not so. I haven't
got a compression tester,but it seems to be {by pulling on the rope} very good. I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction where I should be looking,someone who has either been there done that, and can
tell me exactly what area to be in. The air leak in the carb,I don't believe
would cause the fuel coming out of the choke to be milky would it?
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers but I'm an "average joe" with hopes that someone on here would be helpful with experience.I've tried looking in the search site, but my little 4hp I just can't relate it to someones 90-or 150 hp
engine problem,way too many complications & variables for me.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '75 Johnson 4hp Need some info PLEASE !!!

Don't worry about your inexperience you'll learn. We aren't here to judge we're here to help.there are no stupid questions so ask away.
Cold frosty areas on the carb wouldn't be unusual the nature of the carb creates a cold area sometimes causing carurator icing to the point of stalling,rough idle etc.
Milky fuel coming out of carb is troubling.My guess is a bad or stuck reed valve or simply a stuck float.Stalling could be fuel supply.If the motor sat for a long time fuel system could be gunked up.
When rebuilding a carb you need to be sure all passages and jets are clear.
be sure the rest of the system is clean so it doesn't foul up the carb.
be sre it pumps water.If in a barrel be sure it is well submerged or pump won't work.

WATERTIMES

Seaman

I will try to get some pics{not sure how to load them }
The carb kit came with wrong bowl gasket so I had to use the old one,as well
as the wrong welch plug, so NAPA fixed me up with the correct size plug.
The fuel is coming out the outer choke. See this is another thing I need to ask. I'm used to 2 stroke atv's having a reed cage behind the carb that enters the intake.This engine doesn't have any such thing.Where is this to be located? THANK YOU GUYS!!!

WATERTIMES

Seaman

Okay, the milky looking fuel is not there anymore{spitting out the carb throat}
it does want to run{I've had it runing 3hrs.}I can't get any high RPMS out of her.
When I put the new points,coils,condensers,fuel pump on, she started up and
did run full tilt.I remember reading that if the points aren't set right it will either run advanced meaning fast? :confused:and retard meaning slow?:confused: I set them .020
what the book called for but what I'm thinking is could it be possible for the points to unset ? Does this theory sound logical ?

I just put a new head gasket and a carb rebuild kit on tonite,with no solution
to the problem I'm having.I have the float set at 1-1/8" should I be further,if so bout how much ? She starts 3rd pull and runs all day long til,I shut her down,I just can't seem to get the RPM's out of her in fast speed.Any suggestions?