1989 merc i/o. no spark

kevin womack

Recruit
i have no spark. i have replaced the coil ,condenser,cap,rotor, plugs,wires. and points. could my pickups in the distubter be bad? . it is a 1989 120hp 153 cubic inch. please reply to. i'm going crazy trying to get this thing started. some one please help before summer ends

Last edited by a moderator:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 merc i/o. no spark

Turn the key on and use a test light to see if there is power to either side of the coil.If no power then your key switch is bad or a bad lead in the system.
If there is power on one side turn the motor over and check both sides if you have power on both sides then the points/cond are bad or not set right.
Then turn motor over and test both sides of points.
Use a multimeter and check points for continuity.
Just cause it's new doesn't mean they are good. Good luck, Jerry

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Take the distributor cap off, turn the engine over til the points are open, check for voltage on the distributor side of the coil. If goodthen turn the engine til the points close, now no voltage, then the points are making contact.

Still no spark then replace the starter solenoid, the outside terminal supplies power to the coil during cranking only to provide a hot spark for starting, no power from this terminal will make for a very weak or no spark during cranking.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Still no spark then replace the starter solenoid

No don't go changing the starter solenoid because you don't have spark.
Do a little more testing and find out if the wire or the connections are bad before you go replacing solenoids on the hopes of a no start repair. That is probably the last possible problem.
IF, however, you suspect it, just put a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the + terminal on the coil and see what happens.