need year for older Johnson seahorse

I have an older Johnson Sea Horse, model OD-11, Serial number 861524.

Has not run in years, but looks to be in good condition.

Any in sight into the year and how I can get the appropraite service manual?

Thanks,

Ed

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: need year for older Johnson seahorse

It's probably a QD-11 which is a 1950 Johnson 10 hp. Try iBoats for the service manual. I have the parts manual I could email you if you PM me your address.

Thanks for the info. It is QD-11 as you stated.

I'll try iboats for the maintenance manual.

Thanks again - now I can get started.

Ed

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Please delete your email address.There are vultures.

Got the operating instructions manual. Did all the proscribed maintenance but one item which calls for 4-5 drops of oil on the magneto oiler felt but no instructions on how to do that other than visiting your authorized Johnson Dealer:

Do you have any insite on how to do this?

The motor was not used for many years and I suspect this felt is dried out. Apparently it lubricates the breaker points push rod.

Thanks

Ed

F_R

Supreme Mariner

4-5 drops?? Holy Crap! What idiot wrote that manual? One drop Max is plenty. No wonder those things all have greasy points.

On the subject of greasy points, you probably should pull the flywheel and see what you have in there anyway. The QC-10 and 11 had strange coils that gave much trouble and was obsolete 30 years ago. If you find them all dried out looking, or melted, that's bad.

Otherwise, clean and set those breaker points. They are very difficult to clean properly unless you take them apart and de-grease them and polish each contact individually with some 400 grit wet-or-dry paper. Do them one set at a time so you have a sample to look at for reassembly, and be extra careful not to lose any of the many little insulators. Set gap at .020".

Thanks for the info. I did clean the points and regapped them. Everything else looks OK.

Can you give me an idea on where the magneto oiler felt is located and how I get one drop of oil to it? I would hate to try to start the motor up since I'll bet this is dry and the point push rods are not lubricated.

Also, the manual called for 5-6 drops of oil - even more than I originally stated.

Thanks,

Ed

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

the oiler is under the flywheel right beside the points... at least it is on later models in the 50's... if you still have it off you should see it... it's a just a tiny piece of felt. I have never oiled one in my life! (Shhhhhh!)

Thanks Steve,

I'll take a look but it sounds like it is not too important a maintenance item.

Next step after that is to mix the gas and see if I can get her started.

Thanks again,

Ed

wbeaton

Commander

Here is a photo of the QD-11 magneto with the oiler felt location marked.

Attachments

• QD-11 Oiler Felt.JPG
    QD-11 Oiler Felt.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

Thanks for all the info guys.
Completed all maintenance and tried to get her stared yesterday.Shot a spray of carb cleaner into air intake to help with an initial turn over. Motor fired couple times and then actually ran for about 30 seconds. That was it. However, I noticed pool of gas on top of the gas can. Whenever I pumped the gas plumger, gas came up from the pump hole. Some did make it to the fuel filter, but most squirted out of the plunger hole.Took can apart and the seal that attaches to the plunger is dried and looks like gas leaks up into the air cavity by the plunder and will squirt up the plunger hole. Two questions:
1) As I understand how this fuel system works, the engine essentially forces air into the can and thus forces fuel up to the engine. If this is correct, then it seems that with this leaky seal, the air pressure from the engine would disipate out the plunger hole and thus fuel would not get to the engine. Correct??
2) Is it possible to get a new replacement seal for the gas can? If so how? If not, I can try making one - any tips on that approach?

Thanks Ed

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of places sell the rebuild kit for the tanks. laingsoutboards.com is a good source. you have to specify if you want the late style with the black plastic pushbutton "FT1". Or the early style with the aluminum plunger "FT2". They include the cork gasket, the diaphram, all the bolt seals and the connector o rings. They do not include a gasket for the gas gauge window however. At least mine didn't. So if you need one of those you'll need to order it seperately. Sorry I don't have the p/n. Good luck! And be sure you don't lose the little aluminum disc for the check valve. It could escape and disapear very easily.

They also sell the double hose in case yours is questionable.

Cheers....................Todd

Thanks Todd.

You are a wealth of info.

Off to my ordering and rebuilding project for the older model tank.

Thanks

Ed