1975 Johnson 115 hp thermostat/vernatherm

bm9913

Cadet
I have a 1975 Johnson 115 hp, and thanks to everyone on here determined that my problem was the vernatherm( older type thermostat). When I removed the old one, thanks to the springs it came apart before I could tell where everything came from. I have the parts now, but am not quite sure what order everything goes back. Does anyone know how reinstall it? What order does everthing go in? I have the vernatherm, two springs, and two pieces of plastic, one flat with a little rasied "bubble" on it and the other looks somewhat like a small fan. I have searched the net looking for a diagram of it, but no luck yet. If anyone out there can help, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1975 Johnson 115 hp thermostat/vernatherm

I know how it all goes together, but trying to describe it . . . um . . . I got no idea how to start. Take a picture of what you got and I'll try and help you.

bm9913

Cadet

Ill try to take the pictures tomorrow, thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

See if this helps:

Attachments

• 1973 to 77 thermostat.JPG
    1973 to 77 thermostat.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 23

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If you go to the BRP parts website Navigate to your engine (dont worry if you cannot match the exact model number) Select "Exhaust housing" from the list and you'll get a diagram showing all the parts and a parts list. Zoom to 100% on the diagram and you'll see how it all goes .

Funny I've seen exactly the same question on another forum :)

bm9913

Cadet

Thanks again to you all. The pictures and the websites are exactly what I needed. When I ordered all the parts I didnt get the new springs. The old ones seem to be in good shape. Should I try to reuse them or go ahead and order new ones?

19ftSigna

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I now have this boat and motor! The motor is still overheating. I'm not sure where to go with this? I am pretty knowledgable with car engines and service manuels for automibles, but this boat manuel and motor is throwing me for a ride!!..

Some have told me that this has 2 thermostats? Any truth, all I can see is a vernatherm.

I wish someone had some real pictures of this setup, vernatherm-waterpump-hoses that can clog and cause overheating...

Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

One Vernatherm (aka thermostat) and a pressure control valve. All the parts illustrated in Ezekes post above or in the parts catalog. (Exhaust housing diagram)

Other diagrams including the water pump shown as part of the gearcase assembly accessible from the parts catalog at http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=fe734c8d0d019e57d43e69c77c477f81

The parts diagrams are useful to show the general arrangement but for full details you must refer to the OEM workshop manual.

If the thermostat is Ok and the water pump has been recently overhauled with a new impeller then you could be looking at clogged up waterways in the engine power head.