wet feet, goin' down, gurgle......

ol tymer

Cadet
Hey ya'll: Last time I took my boat out was at a reservoir in the Oregon desert country. They have a nice launch ramp, but you can't leave your boat there for any length of time. So, as I was camped about 400 yards from the ramp, I had to (beach) my boat, so to speak, shallow water, about 1 to 2 feet deep at the bow, maybe 3 feet at the stern. Then when I wanted to launch out, I had to push like crazy while the little women steered a nice reverse course to deeper water to let the I/O down. Now, since I'm in water getting about knee deep, how am I going to get on board? The bow is about even with my neck. (My boat is a Seaswirl 20 ft. fiberglass.) So, my question is: Is there some kind of bow ladder available somewhere that I could step up onto my bow? If you can help, I'd surely appreciate it! Thanks a million! Ol Tymer

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: wet feet, goin' down, gurgle......

Many marine stores sell a boarding ladder with rope supporting the steps instead of rails. It can be attached to a cleat, rather than having to have an open side rail to hook the rails over. I suppose the rope type ladder would require a bit more finesse, due to its inherent lack of stability, but it should work.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well, if you're a BOB (big ole boy) like me those rope ladders are almost ineffective. Better are the stick ladders that you see on some dive boats.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

A regular hook ladder will work fine. Just make sure the little lady leans to the other side or you will all be going gurgle...gurgle...:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as a teenager we had a friend who was a BOB, we would all get in the boat, and BOB was last. we would all get on the ladder side of the boat, BOB, would grab the ladder, on the count of 3 everyone would move to the opposite side, and BOB would be catapulted up, it made it much easier for him to get in. doing this keep the ladder at the correct angle for him to climb.

ol tymer

Cadet

;)Thank ya'll a lot for all your wisdom and expertise. ;)I do believe I might of found what I'm lookin' for at West Marine. It's called the Quick Step. Naw, not the Dancin' with the Stars, quick step; they even have a 2 step quick step. Think o' that!! Has anyone out there in cyberville ever used one? Let me know, if'n you will. Thank ye! Ol Tymer.

erlindbl

Seaman

Seems to me it would be easier to turn it around. I never beach my boat but anchor the front and tie off the back end so it is in two feet of water. That way when you want to take off you just push straight out and climb up the ladder in the back. Even with a ladder climbing over the front seems like a pain. Give it a good push staight out and while your standing at the back you can advise the wife when to lower the engine and take off.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Yea..erlindbl Thats a version of how we used to tie up, this is a little different....One of the reasons for totin two anchors around. I would set the bow anchor, tie a loop in the bow anchor line and connect a doubled 20' piece of heavy bungy cord tied to the bow cleat. The anchor line off the stern cleat came to shore and was used to stretch the bungy to bring the stern ashore. Feed out some line and the stern would not be aground.We used that especially if there was any bottom obstruction at the beach. And obviously we're boarding from the stern. :cool: