seastar steering seal leaks

venture22

Cadet
I have a 1988 Johnson 225 with a front mount seastar hydraulic steering system. There is a leak at the hydraulic cylinder. I bought the seal kit, removed the cylinder from the engine mounts, removed the snap rings that hold the glands in place, but cannot remove the end glands from the cylinder. Saw a couple of posts with same question, but no answer. Should the end glands just slide out. If they are corroded in position, is there a trick to release them so I can replace the seals. I posted a question to Seastar, but they have not responded.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: seastar steering seal leaks

They have excellent service but there was national holiday here so perhaps
there is backlog of questions.

venture22

Cadet

Thought I would bump this to the top to see if anyone has done this job and can offer advice.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Teleflex still didn't reply ?
Did you receive confirmation email that they got your question ?

venture22

Cadet

Never did get a reply nor a confirmation, but they were very prompt in answering my initial questions and helping me select the proper kit.

But.... I was able to release the end glands on the outboard cylinder. My cylinder had snap rings to hold the end glands in place. After I removed the snap rings, I expected the glands to slide out. I couldnt get them out directly so I gave a sharp push (turning the engine) and the gland popped out. Turned the engine the other direction and the other gland popped out. Job is done. No leaks.