1977 15HP Evinrude won't start

agraf39

Recruit
I?m hoping somebody might be able to offer some suggestions to help fix a problem I?m having. My motor won?t start. Any ideas?

Seriously though?I?ve always had a little difficulty getting my ?77 15 HP Evinrude started over the past few years (it doesn?t get run that often unfortunately?certainly not by choice), but usually a little shot of starting fluid gets it going and it starts on the first pull after that.

Over opening weekend I screwed up and took the whole fuel pump off the motor and it completely came apart (long story?). Got it back together and the motor ran fine the next day. Took it out last Monday and it would not start for nothing. Starting fluid would get it to fire, but it?s like it wasn?t getting any gas and would quit once the SF was gone.

I replaced the gas line in the motor, thinking it may have been a bad connection where the hose from the tank connects. Still wouldn?t start.

I got a new plastic gas tank, thinking maybe there was a problem with the pick up in the ancient one I had. I suppose it?s worth mentioning I just poured the gas from the old tank in it, which was a little from last season mixed with fresh stuff for the opener. Still wouldn?t start.

I just picked up a new fuel pump (since they?re apparently not supposed to be taken apart) and new spark plugs. Still wouldn?t start.

I got fresh gas last night and mixed it to 50:1 and got rid of the old gas, but it still won?t start.

Could it be the ?old? gas that?s been pumped into the engine that?s keeping it from firing? Is there anything I could be missing? The gas hose for the tank is a year old, so I can?t imagine that would be the problem, but have yet to try a new one. Anyone have any thoughts? I could really stand to not have to pay $75/hour for a shop to look at it if it?s something I might be able to do myself. I have a can of spray tune up stuff, but th motor needs to be running for that. Is there any way to de-gunk the carb without taking it off the motor?

Sorry for the length, but I tried to explain every step I?ve taken so far.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 15HP Evinrude won't start

Sounds like your carb is dirty,DONT use starting fluid,it has no lube and breaks down any lube that may be in the cylinders,would one shot to start matter,probably not,but if you need fluid,your eng aint choking,it aint choking cause the passages that allow gas to be sucked are dirty,you need to REMOVE and DISASSEMBLE the carb.no shortcuts,remove all rubber and plastic parts and soak in carb cleaner.I do have a lot of luck using OMC engine tuner and making sure all the internals of the carb get soaked,let soak 4 hrs or overnite,rinse in a good hot soapy water,then blow through all passages with compressed air,if that isnt possible get a can of carb cleaner spray ,dont use this for the cleaning though,its not strong enough,you need to remove the starter by removing the center hold down bolt,be careful its spring loaded,hold the bottom cup and the top gear like a sandwich as you take the bolt out,have a 3/8 nut ready to screw on the bolt YOU LEAVE THE BOLT IN,thats important the nut will prevent the unit from blowing up like a spring bomb,that will allow the removal of the carb nut you cant otherwise get,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1977 15HP Evinrude won't start

Please stop replacing stuff, Agraf!! That is the worst and most expensive way to troubleshoot.

Find out what is wrong and fix that.

While I agree with Mike I would like you to prove that the carb is the trouble before you start messing with it.

Go to the Engine FAQs and do "Outboard won't start". Let us know what you find.