1986 Force 15 hp propeller

nicnmike

Cadet
I've recently purchased this motor and it came with a composite (plastic) prop. Not that it doesn't work well, but I'd rather have an aluminium one and keep the plastic as a spare. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find one for my specific year. On one website it listed a prop that would fit 80-98 15 hp motors and on another it only listed 96 and newer. So my question is, which one do I believe?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Force 15 hp propeller

You need to figure out the pitch before you buy a prop. The one your looking at could be way wrong. Take yours off and look for #s and letters.Post what you have found. Any Mercury dealer can get you the prop you need.Jerry

nicnmike

Cadet

I realize I'll need to figure out the proper pitch for my needs and I'm sure a dealer will sell me anything I ask for, but what I'd like to know is if the the number of splines and the size of the shaft are the same for my motor as one listed as 96 and newer. Are the props interchangeable?

Sorry I posted in the wrong section. I wasn't too sure if this was a prop question, or more of an specific engine part question.

nicnmike

Cadet

I pulled the prop off, measured the diam and counted the number of the splines:
8X8.25 RH
part# 430265-1
~7/16 diam and 10 splines.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That sounds like an unchanged Chrysler prop. Go over to The Chrysler Crew and contact franzmarine. Tell Franz Buddenberg your application--engine, boat size etc. He will undoubtably give you a correct answer and supply you with the correct prop.

nicnmike

Cadet

Sounds good. I'll put it here first because they moved this post from the Chrysler/ force section.

I have this motor on a 16 foot semi-v bass tracker looking aluminum boat. It's titled as a sea nymph, but it doesn't look like any sea nymph I've ever seen. It planes with out much of a problem and runs strong. I recently sea foamed it and adjusted the tilt and it seems to run a little faster.

The only thing I've noticed is it doesn't sound like it's running at a maxed out rpm. There's no tach on it, but I've been on a few boats and you can sort of tell by sound when a boat is running all out.

I've only run it with my wife and myself on the boat. I imagine I'll have 3 and sometimes 4 people on the boat. I don't expect more than a 10 to 20 mile round trip on most outings, so speed isn't crucial, but being able to run the boat on a plane is. This will mostly be used on a lake and occasionally some flats fishing.

nicnmike

Cadet

Well, my best guess is this Quicksilver aluminum 9" diam with an 8" pitch. It also comes in a 7" pitch, which might a better option. Here's the part number QA2126R.

I need to make sure the extra 0.5" on either side won't be a problem.

Does increasing the diameter also reduce the RPM's at WOT?

nicnmike

Cadet

Argh! A 9" diam prop will not fit this motor. There's less than .5" between the current 8" prop and the casing.