new steering needed

northwoodsPT

Cadet
After doing some research on here i figured out that i need to get a new steering cable and helm for my boat (Spectrum 1900 with 90 HP Marinier). Someone else on here suggested a no-feedback rotary system by Teleflex. Currently i have a rack and pinion by Teleflex. Any input into which new system i should get (rack and pinion vs rotarty would be appriciated). Also with a 19 foot boat, whats the usualy steering cable length needed.
Thanks!

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new steering needed

rack for sure. I have a 18 ft Charger DL and if i really wanted to spend the money and keep the boat, i would buy a hydra. steering. But i would say rack and pinion from teleflex imo. I dont know on the length, varies on boats from where the motor mounts to the steering. Measure what you have now.

arjay2008

Cadet

id definitely recommend the rack system, i just installed a brand new one from teleflex and it works great on my 1150 mercury outboard. as for the length, measure your current system. I ordered too short a cable the first time because i figured there would be a little more give and had to send it back for a longer replacement.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the rotary is much easier to install and service, and user friendly. does the exact same thing.