trim/tilt johnson 70hp 1989

viking001

Recruit
I have a Johnson 70 HP. I can't get the trim/tilt to go down. model J70ELESB
It goes up, but just clicks in this relay box thing when I click down. I have had intermittent issues with this but it usually has just started working. Also is there a way to manually lower it? I have poured over the manual. Thanks very much for any info. here is a pic of the relay box thing. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1104992/0702081820.jpg
thanks

cx380

Cadet
Re: trim/tilt johnson 70hp 1989

some where on the leg is a large flat head screw inside a recessed hole that if you turn about half turn or a full turn it will bypass the hydralic fluid and let you move the motor up and down manualy. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you where it is exactly.

viking001

Recruit

I just found that. I was able to push it down to a certain point but no further. Thanks.

viking001

Recruit

Thanks, I found that screw and managed to get the motor down to a point. It won't go further. The electrical stuff, I am working on. When my battery gets a long manual charge the down tilt/trim works, not sure what is up with that. Probably some trash in the relay box, Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Start by physically removing all connections and polishing them to a shine with a file. Look for corroded wires or wires with nicks, cuts, abrasions, etc... and replace as needed. If it is still doing it, swap the relays. If the problem is now reversed to the "UP" function, replace the relay.

viking001

Recruit

Thanks, I will do that. In the meantime it seems to work as long as the battery is charged well, or the motor is on. I need to polish those connections I think. Thanks.