Four Blind Plugs

hribarj

Cadet
I have a 2003 Yamaha 100HP(Four Stroke) and have been working on rebuilding the 4 carbs ($1100 at the dealer). Not that bad now that I have the service manual. I'm about finished making my "homemade" vacuum pressure guage to sync the carbs (hey, I'm retired and can barely afford gas to go fishing). While reading back over the book I found a new adjustment that I haven't made - Pilot screw setting. Actually I just want to make sure it is not clogged. Now this is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know how to get the 4 blind plugs out in order to get to the pilot screw. Laugh all you want - as long as you give me a hand.

Thanks,

John In N.C.

hribarj

Cadet
Re: Four Blind Plugs

Oops! Another senior moment!
That's a 2001 Yamaha 100 HP. I think they stopped making the 100HP after I bought mine.

John In N.C.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would be helpful if you posted the exact model number.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it is a 2001 model. Which service manual do you have? Look at the parts list here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx
I believe you are are talking about item 46 in the Carburetor 1 section. Here is the part number 67F-14355-00-00 .PLUG. If you are removing them you need to order 4 new ones.

hribarj

Cadet

I'm assuming that if I need to order 4 new plugs I will be destroying the old ones when/if I remove them. I'm still not sure how to get them out though. I hope it doesn't involve a drill though. It would seem that maybe the pilot screw was not intended to be messed with. Am I correct?
Today I synched the carbs using my homemade thingamabob and it worked great. The motor is running much better now, but still rougher than it used to. I'm going to run some fresh gas with B-12 through it and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

John In N.C.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep
driling is involved.
use a 9/64th drill,drill a hole in the center of each plug, be careful to quit drilling at break through or you will hit the A/F screw and screw it in :).
then use a #10 sheet metal screw about 2" long, lightly thread it in the plug. use vice grips on the plug and remove it.
I cant reccomend not replacing the plug I can say if you dont then nothing much happens.
if you do happen to screw the screws in and you cant do it while counting and recording each screws setting then use 2 turns out from lightly seated, do all link and sync with a vacum guage as per the service manual then set the A/F screws for optimum idle. if you miss one carb then you will need to set all at 2 turns out and go from there, its actually simple.

hribarj

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Will let you know.