GPS problem

chkm8

Cadet
After fitting my Cobra GPS to my boat which was a DIY job it was working perfectly for the first 2 occasions. Now I turn it on and as usual the sceen comes up saying click enter to continue. I click enter but the system seems stuck at this point and won't move on to the next screen ie: locating your position then option to use GPS as normal. Any ideas as to why it is freezing at this point ?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: GPS problem

I know nothing about your Cobra GPS but would expect it to say more than "click enter to continue."

Common for GPS unit to say something like do not totally rely on the GPS for navigation, Click enter to continue.
Or
Click enter to continue searching for sattelites.

Also if the unit has been off for an extended time it is not unusual for the unit to take 5 minutes to fine your position. At this time some units will appear frozen.

When off for a long time between uses the unit has lost track of where satelites are and it will take a while for it to figure it out. Sometime faster to plug in your basic position for the unit to intialize.

After it has found your postion and locked on then if turn off for a short time when you turn back on most find position fast now.

Does it finally come up and work?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good explanation, Boatist.

I have found all of what Boatists says, and in addition if you turn it on a long distance from where it was when it was turned off it will take a lot longer to acquire satellites and locate where you are.

I had my Garmin 276C stored for about a month while changing vehicles and making a mount adapter for the new car. When I got her installed and turned on it took a full 15 minutes to get oriented, even though it was at the same location where I turned it off.

chkm8

Cadet

thanks for the help. I have changed boats and it was in storage for about 6wks so may just be slow to boot up though initially when connected it started in a matter of seconds. Still I will click on enter and leave it for ten or fifteen min to see if that solves the problem.

John.

chkm8

Cadet

well went out today in the boat. Left the GPS turned on and nothing after 30min. Just seems frozen at the click to enter page and no response to the menu buttons etc. Even the power down button seems really slow and you usually have to switch it off using the auxillary switch

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

30 min. should be more than enough time to recover after a long move or other problems. You might try a hard reset. That is remove all batteries and power for 10 min. or more and try restarting. It sounds like your unit might be broken. Sometimes the OEM might have software updates on their web site. If your software got corrupted this might restore it.