Help with johnson qd-14A

bvav22

Cadet
Hi, i just recently got my first ever outboard motor. its a johnson QD-14A. when i bought it i replaced some leaking gas lines inside the power head took it out and ran out the 1/4 tank of gas the guy left in it for me and it ran great, and pumped water fine. Well the next time i took it out i ran it for a while longer. i was able to go WOT for about ten minutes and then it stalled. started it up, and it ran for 5 min, then stalled, and it progressively got shorter on the time it would run. So i took it home and went out the next day, same thing, except this time it ran for almost an hour before it started stalling.

here is what i think my problem is, on the quick connect for the pressurized tank the air line leaks, and you can hear it very loudly. it leaks when disconnected and connected. could this leak be causing me to loose pressure in the tank and stall out?

im really confused, about why it stalls. if i prime it (tank and engine) it will start right up, yet eventually die.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with johnson qd-14A

The engine pum,ps air to the tank and presurizes it. The pressure then within the tank forces fuel to the engine. If the tank is not holding the pressure, the fuel cannot flow to the engine.

Bottom line.... got to fix that leak.

bvav22

Cadet

yea i want to fix it, but they dont make the fitting anymore, and the cheapest one i could find is $125, i don't really want to have to convert to a fuel pump either it sounds like more work than i can handle. is there a way to replace o rings on the connector?

jbjennings

Captain

Yes, you can replace the o-rings--- a very common problem. Go to laingsoutboards.com and get the phone number to call them. They are cheap and not too hard to replace. You can't find the right size in hardware stores so go ahead and buy the right ones.
Good luck, that's one of my faovorite motors,
JBJ:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Or try your local OMC dealer, they're ~$2 each. Or in the interim, you can direct connect the 2 hoses together... just don't mix them up...

One way to test if this is really the problem is when the engines starts to die, pump up the pressure again and see if it keeps going. If you an keep the engine going then that way, then it is a fuel delivery problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "O" Rings are part number 301824, readily available. If you can't locate them, I have a few left.