pressure test cant find leak

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice
i HAVE A 1977 MERCURY BOAT WITH A 120 HP WITH MR STRENDRIVE.i HAVE THE LOWER END OFF THE BOAT.i HAVE REPLACED ALL THE SEALS AND A NEW WATER PUMP GASKET.i PRESSURE UP THE LOWER UNIT IT WILL NOT HOLD PRESSURE AND i CAN HEAR IT LEAKING BUT CANNOT FIND THE LEAK.i HAVE USED A SPRAY BOTTLE AND I HAVE FOUND NOTHING.cOULD THERE BE A CRACK IN THE LOWER END THAT YOU CANNOT SEE.THE BOAT SAO LAST WINTER WITH WATER IN LOWER END.sO I WAS WONDERING ABOUT A CRACK. tHANKS PHIL

Bondo

Staff member
Re: pressure test cant find leak

cOULD THERE BE A CRACK IN THE LOWER END THAT YOU CANNOT SEE.THE BOAT SAO LAST WINTER WITH WATER IN LOWER END.

Ayuh,.... Loose the Cap-lock Phil....

An outdrive stored over winter with water in the case, stands a Pretty Good chance that it might be Cracked.....

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

Do you have any idea where the crack could be if it has one.I can hear it leaking inside the drive but I cant see it.Do you think if i totally took it apart I could find out. Thanks for replying phil

JustJason

Vice Admiral

What the heck do you mean by

phil rogers said:
i PRESSURE UP THE LOWER UNIT IT WILL NOT HOLD PRESSURE AND i CAN HEAR IT LEAKING

What are you using to pressurize the lower unit, how are you verifying how much pressure you are putting in it, and how much pressure are you puttin in it before you "hear a leak"

something tell's me your answer is in there....

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

i was prssure testing to 15 psi.I was useing air compressor sat at that pressure. could hear it leaking down in drive. phil