Trouble installing lower unit '76 115 6 cyl

shirthero

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, dropped lower unit to replace impellor, pump is fresh and happy, I CAN NOT get the unit back up in place, bout and 1 1/2" from home and stops dead. The water pipe is on the lower unit, it seems to be what is getting stuck, took it off and got the unit right in place. Whats the trick guys? I'm gonna throw this motor across the yard in a minute and that would not be good for my back!

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trouble installing lower unit '76 115 6 cyl

if motor was in neutral when you removed and still is get some one to wiggle fly wheel back and forth while you lift or wiggle gear shrift. gear shift shaft and drive shaft splines have to line up to slide l/u on.

shirthero

Seaman Apprentice

Problem doesnt seem to be the shift rod or the drive shaft, as notes when I removed the water pipe the l/u slide int oplace with just a wiggle of the prop.

jagoin

Cadet

Make sure that ends of water pipe are not buggered! Also check the connections that the water pipe slips into and ensure that they are free of nicks and burrs.

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i put grease on every theard and shaft and ends of water pipe that helped but burs will stop it grease will melt away with time

jagoin

Cadet

Yep, if the ends of the pipe or the inside of the receiving connections are nicked, burred or crushed that pipe will not slide in as it is supposed to. Sounds far fetched (and it may not be your problem) but as with most experience I learned it the hard way.