water in the engine compartment

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After a weeks worth of incredible amounts of rain - 2" each day for about 4 days straight (2" in a matter of hours)- not to mention daily severe storms, I went to check on my candia, which is docked about 45 min from me, only to find the cover collapsed and water in the mid-boat comparment as well as the engine compartment. The on-board auto bilge pump worked until it killed the battery and the entire boat was dead. Water was up to about the oil filter. I bailed both compartments by hand and am running a new marine battery down to install today and charge the other (I was completely unprepared for the situation and had no tools to remove the battery. It is a remote location without any retail locations to sell batteries)

Should there be any situations that I should be aware of once energizing the boat? I would like to start it and let it run, including letting the bilge run.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in the engine compartment

Check the oil level on the dip stick.If it looks like it might have gained oil,you might have gotten water in the block.Jerry

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I do find water in the oil I assume I need to do flush and fill?

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume from your description the starter was under water as well. My experience was the starter may work a time or two, but I would plan on getting it rebuilt or replaced as soon as you can.

Good Luck

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your starter was under water before you hook up you battery take the starter off and take it apart let it sun bake a couple of days, relube your bushings and put it back on, starters run in and out of water everyday on your car, these are not much different than your car starter, the biggest thing is a car starter does not sit under water for any period of time, i have had my starter under water twice in the last two years, took it apart sun baked it and reoil the bushings and still going strong, i just cant see spending a ton of money that a person may not have too