obtain new 25 mercury 2 stroke

blokkie

Recruit
I'm to take local delivery of a new 25 HP mercury OB. cpl. with all. 4.5 m. dingy, for a mate due overhere (Bali) next month.(end Aug.)
How do I check-up on the genuine manufacturing year?
Are basic tools-handbook included?
Could I expect the machine to be dry? (no oils in gearbox)
Not have been test run before delivery by someone?
By experience we've learned what guaranties are worth over here.
My own suzuki DF 15 I bought last year had oil in the gearbox wich turned out to be the wrong stuff. Lucky we found out beforehand after warning, gave it a washout with solar diese) after which the battle started to fill the thing from the bottom up. Good that we are not too far away from Oz.
Computers and forums are a god's gift to us as well as on line sparepart dealers. Thank you all!: blokkie.

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: obtain new 25 mercury 2 stroke

Here is a web site for serial numbers, I am not able to read Swedish, but follow your nose!

http://marinshopen.se/Hjälpmedel/Modellguide/Mercury/tabid/104/Default.aspx

Typical new 2 stroke would include owners manual and maybe a wrench to only pull spark plugs. The factory tests runs them.

I would suggest getting a Mercury factory service manual and/or a Seloc manual for your motor from Mercury direct or the Seloc publisher or from ebay. Also useful would be a parts list direct from Mercury. Mercury has a website to get both of these. With a service manual you get all the maintenance and repair information for your motor. And the part numbers are extremely useful when ordering something. Unfortunately, a few tasks require special tools which you can buy or sometimes make with some creativity.

Good luck, great motor!

blokkie

Recruit

Hi matey, thanks for the reply and the suggestions which will be followed up- on.
The gearbox was indeed filled and a residue of oily petrol mix found in the petrol strainer. Will flush the gearbox tomorrow before refilling just to make sure no unwanted trouble stuff is in there.
But then there is that little vane below the plate serving as static electrode but a-simetric situated on a round disk-base plate. We'll have to find out how that will work as it certainly will be directly in the air bubble stream caused by the prop.
Then there is the weight of this ox. I still can carry a bag of cement around if I have to, but this thing reguires a forklift if you ask me.
I mention this as we were told that the todays twostrokes were a heck of a lot lighter then a 4 stroker. My foot with this one!
If our tinny(an aussie 3.85 M.quintex explorer still has not become a sub. before starting it I think we should go very easy,not to become airborne. But sales-man are what they are is it not! My idea that a 15 H.P would have been ample. I'l keep you posted and once more thank's. CU. Blokkie

blokkie

Recruit

HI, good man you are,
yes seloc is on order, Can't get the mercury recommended gear oil overhere so refilled with super gearoil by 'union sae 90'
Found it to be quite a bit more greasy then wat came out. The disposed stuff looked more like cooking oil. I took it for some synthetics. After adding some seawater to it however, it emulsified readily and became murky.Part-separation after about an hour. So whatever this was, I do not like it.
The same experiment with the sae 90, did not show emulsifying. What happens if the mixtures are heated up to work temperatures, maybe something anyone else may try. I'm going to put the boat and motor in the drink tomorrow morning to put them through the first phases.
By the way I did find out what that lower aluminium vane was for,:) beside an anode.