78` merc,1150,wont start with key,,,

bossragz

Cadet
i have a 78` merc that was "gifted " to me,,its on a 19 ` renken,,,,nice boat ,,great trailer ,,everything is good ,EXCEPT the motor wont crank with the key,,,if i jump the selinoid ,,it cranks pretty as you please,,,(dosent start),,,im looking for some advice,,im in the ETTERS,PA area,,(around harrisburg) please ,,i wanted to take the wife and daughter on the river for the 4th ,,any advice would be greatly appreciated,,,

choochoobg@aol.com

717 441-7414

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 78` merc,1150,wont start with key,,,

do you have fire on the spark plugs? that engine is hard to start likes plenty of gas, almost have to flood it. does the electric choke work? if got fire on the plugs, spray a gas/oil mixture into the carbs

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the ignition wire from the switch to the solenoid. See if you are getting voltage at the solenoid through the wire when someone turns the key. It sounds like it is either the wire, connections at switch or solenoid, or the switch itself. When you say that you are able to jump the solenoid are you stating that you can activate the solenoid or just jump the two posts?

TommyA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bossragz said:
i found the problem with the issue of not starting with the key , it had a wire or two broken off...now upon further inspection , i found that the wirinbg harness has a female connector broken out of it , its not making connection,,, so ill need to replace the plug and the recepticle,,,,does any one have any ideas? where to find,,,how much , is there any secrets in replacing,,any thing to watch out for? thank you in advance for the help

I am having a difficult time understanding what plug is broken. Is it a connection between two wires or a spade & paddle type connection that a wire connects to on the starter solenoid? Pictures would help.

bossragz

Cadet

ok , i went past the guy at the marina and he said all i had to do is get power to the key by determining what wire hade the broken connector and putting a 20 amp fuse in line and repowering the key that way , i have just gotten home from work and i will be working on the boat , im kinda determined to be in the river this weekend ,,either enjoying the boat or skutteling it !!! lol

thanks for all the help thus far ,,,ill keep you posted

thanks again

mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark, That motor never had a fuse of any kind in it. The +12V wire is red, and the ignition killer wire (non-dissy) is orange. As long as the orange wire is not grounded, the motor will have spark.