Over heating problems on cobalt 262

Cobalt262

Recruit
I just bough 2001 cobalt 262 with 496 GXI motor. On the test run it keep over heating when ever we go over 4500 rpm for about 5 minutes but if we keep it under 4500 rpm there's no problem. The dealer try to change everything from propellers, impeller, hose, impeller housing....etc. At the end of 2 months they came out and told me that this boat wasn't made to go over 4500 rpm. At first when it happen I ask the mechanic and he said it suppose to run up to 4800 rpm. without any problem and If anything it will kick in the governer to slow down the boat. I love the boat but I don't trust dealer that keep changing their stories. Can anyone help me out before I pick this boat up. Greatly appreciated.

John

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Over heating problems on cobalt 262

At the end of 2 months they came out and told me that this boat wasn't made to go over 4500 rpm.

Ayuh,.... I don't know what's the matter with your motor,....

But,.. That is Bull$h!t......

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what temp is it going up to? has the temp gauge been checked? you may be fixing something thats not broken. what does the engine oil temp go to? Need more info as to what it is doing and type of equipment you have.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the full model number of your engine, and what outdrive. Never heard of a 496GXI. Is that supposed to be a Volvo? Possibly an 8.1GXi ?

gaspard303

Cadet

Has anyone thought to check the thermostat? It is quite possible that the thermostat is no working properly. Also....if you have good water flow.. you may have a restriction somewhere. I would consider going somewhere other than the dealership...possibly an outside certified mechanic.