prop question

insight

Recruit
i have designed a prop, and am curious if anybody has any criticism before big money is put on it.
R2.jpg

rndn

Commander
Re: prop question

Welcome to the forum!!:):)
My novice opinion would be the prop may not hold well in turns. There is nothing to "bite" the water.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You need to do some homework on patents since prop shrouding has been available for outboards for many years and someone just may have a patent on the very same thing. Also, it may be in public domain now and you would invest a lot of money with no protection.

You also need to make a one-off because while the built in shroud may protect the blades and may actually increase the efficiency of the blades, the added drag will almost certainly decrease performance. That's why detachable shrouds never caught on. And from a safety standpoint, while the shroud is a little better than an unguarded prop for a swimmer, it still can cut off body parts.

It will also be more expensive to manufacture and while some people don't factor cost, I believe the majority of your target demographic would balk at paying more for less performance.

I hate to be a naysayer.

But on the positive side, the graphic looks well done and if the product is as well done there probably would be a niche market--provided it was marketed and advertised creatively.

insight

Recruit

already have patent pending, and its not going to be hard to manufacture now with 3d printing technologies, as well as some other rd processes. before i spend money on a prototype though, wanted some opinions and wanted to run through some cfd programs. and the shroud does worry me but i'm doing this for my dad. he is currently in prison and came up with this idea based off of a torque converter. he used to be a mechanic. thanks for the input too