Advice on Engine rebuild

uhduh

Cadet
First some facts: I have a '96 bayliner I/O mercruiser 4.3LX GEN located in so. California.

I brought in my boat for servicing since it didn't start and just made a loud click when the ignition was turned. And the mechanic told me my engine was seized and most likely needed an engine rebuild. He removed the outboard and told me the water shutter in the exhaust pipe fell out and the rubber around it was melted. Thus meaning somewhere along the lines, the engine over heated and needs a rebuild(possibly new pistons, crankshaft etc). The boat has not seen water this year and started fine couple months ago when I was testing everything to make sure it ran. Can anyone advise me approximately on what the cost will be if an engine rebuild is necessary? Or if there is any other solution. I just don't feel like being ripped off since I know it'll probably run into the thousands. Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Advice on Engine rebuild

The boat has not seen water this year and started fine couple months ago when I was testing everything to make sure it ran.

Ayuh,....

Explain your Testing,....

You supplied Water to it,.?? Right,..??

uhduh

Cadet

Yes water was supplied, and ran the engine for about 20 mins. Didn't really see the temp guage though. But I did start and stop the engine maybe around 10 times. Not sure if this would've caused an overheat. Thanks

uhduh

Cadet

hmm.. sorry I'm a little new at this stuff. But whats the difference between a long block? and will it fit right in?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You probably need to think back on the last time the motor ran when you were "testing it". Did you leave unattended and it overheated and shut down? If not and everything was fine; you shut it down like you always do and did not notice any overheating, burnt oil fumes, steaming etc. then I would certainly seek a second opinion. Sounds fishy:(. And a long block includes a new head, while a short block is just the block, crank, pistons, camshaft, timing gears.

uhduh

Cadet

I don't remember any over heating, fumes, or steaming. The only thing was I remember trying to start the boat quite a few times since the battery was low(charged since then). And then running it for twenty minutes. No smells, or burnt fluids. The mechanic did say the outboard was removed, plugs were pulled and engine couldn't be turned over. I'll definetely seek a second opinion, just don't want to pay for unecessary repairs. thanks

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are we talking about an outboard or I/O? You used the word outboard twice in this thread which leads me to think that you don't have an I/O. In which case you are in the wrong forum.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a '96 bayliner I/O mercruiser 4.3LX GEN located in so. California.

Ayuh,..... Do you boat in Saltwater,..??

If So,.... You'll be needing More than just a long block.....
Your tale sounds like Rotten Manifolds......

RickW2007

Cadet

i just rebuilt my GM 350 found a great place to buy rebuild kits called northern auto parts half the price of local auto parts stores for master rebuild kits assuming heads and block are good it comes with new pistons new cam all new bearings oil pump piston rings lifters i mean the works. i got mine for 207 after shipping and everything. cheap fix if you know how to do it yourself mechanics always bend you over the work bench if ya know what i mean you just have to get i torn apart and get the heads and block magnifluxed to check for cracks and **** caliper the crank to see if it needs to be turned and then by the rebuild kit and go back together took me about 2 weeks working on it 2 hours a day on weekdays and all weekend