Suzuki Oil Injection Question- Gas/Oil Mix OK?

countingman

Cadet
I have a late '80s Suzuki DT 65. The motor runs OK. This motor has oil injection. As we use the motor only in summer, (it's stored out of the water most of the year) I really don't trust the oil injection system, even though I keep it supplied with oil. (Oil does seems to flow; I just don't know if it goes into all three cylinders.)

So what we've been doing is adding oil to the fuel. (50 to 1)

Does this extra oil hurt the motor? Or should I trust the oil injection system to do its job? Are those systems reliable?

Any guidance would be a big help.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki Oil Injection Question- Gas/Oil Mix OK?

They are reliable untill they quit working. I personally disconnect and cap mine off and pre-mix in the tank. As far as mixing and the oil injection, you will foul plugs alot faster, and have to have your carbs cleaned more often, but it will not hurt your engine.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Suzuki have one of the best and most reliable oil injection systems, adding more oil to the fuel will only make it smoke a bit, it will not gum up your carbs if you run the carbs dry before storing the boat for a while .....

James R

Commander

I concur withh DJC on the performance of the Suzuki oiling systems but as a precaucion I always check mine at the beginning of the season. I do the whole flow check as per the manual and pull each tube off the manifold and check for oil coming out of the plastic tubes. Attach a piece of tubing in turn to each brass injector tube on the manifold and blow to make sure they are clear. I have had one case where a tiny bit of dirt blocked a check valve causing that cylinder to fail. The check for oil flow from the plastic tubes will verify that the check valves are clear. I think it is very rare when a check valve is clogged. I use Penzoil synthetic and that seems to be very good and creates less smoke.