engine blew up

stilldreamin

Recruit
1983 5.7 merc with alpha 1 was running at 2600rpm for roughly 2miles then heard muffled noise brought to idle, and she cut out. took many tries to refire. Seemed as if she was flooded. There was a storm coming in quick so I got her running again, still making a slight muffled noise but was not missing. after about a 1/2 mile she just started knocking. now she wont even turn over. ideas on what caused this are appreciated.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: engine blew up

Knocking is never a good sign. Sounds like rod or main bearing failure. Lack of lubrication, or detonation are the main culprits. Time to pull the engine and have a look see.

thumpar

Admiral

Make sure it is not a seized drive and that the cylinders are not full of water. If that checks out then engine seized. Sounds like it could have been oil pump or low/no oil.

stilldreamin

Recruit

I had 60 psi right before she started knocking, my engine was rebuilt this year. I had to change the original pump because it was cranking out 95 psi @ 3000rpm. Also new exhaust manifolds. Well I guess well have to yank her out and start over again. Boating is like an addiction that empty's the wallet worse than any drug!!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

That hoovers!! You may want to look into a remaned long block instead of doing another rebuild. At least you get a warranty.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take it back to whoever rebuilt it.Sounds like a rod bearing let loose.Jerry

sidebojj

Cadet

Siezed Wristpin, Piston destroyed, broken exhaust valve, bent rod etc etc....We knew it was going to be bad wen we pulled the carb and found pieces of piston in the intake. Piston was completely gone, all that was left was the siezed wristpin riding in the bore. Lucky it didn't chuck a rod out the side. Pin bushing got hot, my guess is it started there. Rod bearing didnt look too bad. I am not the boat owner just a buddy who gives him a hand. Saw this post and figured I would update it. Rebuild was not done at a shop so it can't be returned