It was coon proof just not....

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bear proof!!! Had a trash can full of corn and sunflower seed out back for the bird/squirrel feeders. Mama and two cubs seemed to enjoy it. Have 35 minutes of video as well but Vista don't like my camera....:mad:

ATT00047.jpg

ATT00065-1.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: It was coon proof just not....

cool pics, but not a good thing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Isn't that "baiting" !!! Fatten them up the season will be here soon enough!

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's just a little bear TD. Actually she was very aggressively on the lookout for dangers to her cubs. When it got to dark to video I opened the 2nd floor window and asked how diner was. :D The cubs shot up a tree and she jumped between them and me. Was several minutes before they wandered off.

Bob I don't know if that falls under baiting or not. ;) I am south of the traditional hunting area for bear in MN. I have always wanted to give it a try as I knew they were around. I don't even need to be in the lottery for a tag here.

Hope they do come back a few times FU-Inator. The wife and kid have been in the the UK for the last 5 weeks so they didn't get to see them. They will be home Tuesday night. :)

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Bears will return to a spot where they have found food once before... and are incredibly smart about getting to it. Typically they have a territory that takes 7-8 days to cover, so they will be return in that time. Usually it's around 3 -4 AM at our place.
The other thing is, from TV, we think of them growling, crashing and being really noisy. Just the opposite. They are the most silent creatures I've ever seen. Except when they are crunching your garbage cans and bird feeders. At $50 buck a pop, it gets irritating!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They also like to bite and chew on car tires. :(

i386

Captain

Trashcans and other things were "bear proofed" where we were camping, but we didn't see any bears.

Hrm I wonder... I know horses can die (founder?) if they get into the sweet feed. I wonder if the same could happen from bears eating corn. Not sure what it is in sweet feed that swells so much. Oats? Too much sugar?

aspeck

Staff member

Naw, can't give a bear enough sugar. Game commission around here used powdered donuts in their live bear traps, and several hunting camps feed bear and deer with stale donuts - up until the time they must legally stop, of course. ;)

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

She made the return trip last night. The can was still empty so she just knocked it over and wandered off. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Marshmallow Fluff is fun to pour between big rocks and boulders...... very commonly used in the mountain areas.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Uh-huh! She's probably been there the week before, just didn't find anything to bother. Figure 7-8 days between trips.

It's amazing.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Uh-huh! She's probably been there the week before, just didn't find anything to bother. Figure 7-8 days between trips.

It's amazing.

Wife had been busy working in the garden and yard fairly late in the evening since she got back from the UK. She probably kept her distance with the cubs. There was just less going on in the yard this week to scare her off. The wife and kid got to see her this time so that made the happy. Wife says I can't shoot her(in season) so no need to keep feeding her....:(:(:(

f_inscreenname

Commander

We had a coon fight in the front street one night a month or two ago.
The worst chick fight you ever saw. Lots of hissing, growling and posturing for like 15 minutes then they just walked away from each other making noise the whole time.
Typical bar chick fight. :D