are new starters on ebay junk?

kjempe

Recruit
Does anyone have experience with buying a new starter from ebay? There are a few vendors that are selling starters for around $100 with shipping. The other option is to have my starter that just died rebuilt for not much less. Not sure what the better option is.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: are new starters on ebay junk?

Nobody buys anything from eBay, KJ. We buy from sellers on eBay. Some (most) are honest and offer good products but unfortunately some are not.

I am always suspicious when someone wants a new starter because about 3 out of 5 don't need changing; the problem is somewhere else. Could you tell us why you need a new starter?

If your starter is really bad a rebuild by a local starter shop is a better value, and there are no shipping charges.

I bought a new starter on ebay last year and it's been fine. The seller shipped it the same day that I bought it, no complaints at all.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I had mine rebuilt by a local guy earlier this year. Great job and I think it cost me around $90 including parts. Unless yours is absolutely junk I would have someone look it over. This was original equipment on my old boat!