help w/ 115hp merc

insideoute

Recruit
I have a 115 hp mercury o/b the part of the motor facing the bow says mercury Kiekhaefer thunder bolt ignition and the top panel of the motor says 1150 now the part mounts on the transom only has a serial number on it and it is 3528540 I have no idea what the year is and i have water droplets on the spark plug that goes to #4 cyclinder i have no water showing on any other cylinders. I found this out because when i was on the lake and got on it it bogged down qnd died but would start right up no problem but when you go to get on it it dies and you have to feather the throttle back and forth to get it to full throttle so i brought it home and pulled all the spark plugs and found that. Also the idle seems a little high it idles between 1000 and 1100. any help would help

emckelvy

Commander
Re: help w/ 115hp merc

DUDE! Easy on the run-on sentences!!! You'll find you get a lot more responses if your posts have a bit of punctuation once in a while! Folks tend to 'blow by' posts that are hard to read.

At any rate, water thrown onto the plug electrode usually indicates a leak from the exhaust side. Here's a recent thread that will cover just about any water intrusion question you may have:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=254250

Regarding the idle speed, this is a simple adjustment. The "idle stop" screw pushes on the distributor to increase or decrease idle speed. If you loosen the locknut on the screw and turn it CCW you'll lower speed. Just be sure you are adjusting the "idle stop" and not "spark stop". They are plainly marked with letters cast into the bracket which is bolted to the front of the distributor.

But I'd worry more about the water in #4. Once you get that fixed, you can adjust your carbs' idle mixture and reset idle speed.

HTH..........ed

insideoute

Recruit
Re: help w/ 115hp merc

What year would this motor be i can't figure it out. Sorry about the run on sentences. Need a english and grammer class lol.