Old 62hh outboard performance ????

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys

My son and I took our first boat trip last night in our 11' coleman crawdad driven by an old 6hp chrysler outboard. Over the past few weeks I spent a good amount of time going thru thr engine, points, gap impeller etc. The engine runs fine, 3 to 5 pulls when cold and she starts, after that 1 to 2 pulls when warm and she fires up. The problem I have is at WOT the boat hardley gets out of it's own way, no back fire the revs come up and she is screaming. I have a mixture of 50:1 on 89oct. Having no past knowledge of outboards is this as good as it gets? am I expecting to much out of this engine?

Plugs..... The engine has Champion L-82s in it, I have no idea if this is the correct plug or not. I did check the gap after out run last night and if what I have seen here on the forum the gap should be .030 for some reason they are set to .035.

Mixture screw.... In short 1 1/2 out from seating and adjust from their??

Also one more noob question:redface: Is their a general rule of thumb as to the depth that the lower unit should be in the water. Say from the bottom of the boat to the prop.

Thanks guys

noob;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old 62hh outboard performance ????

The rule of thumb is the relationship between the anti-ventilation plate and the boat bottom, wingnut.

The AV plate should be level with, and parallel with, the boat bottom or keel.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

I see, I will check that out. Thanks

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a spun prop hub perhaps?

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

I'll look into that EricR. I was just out looking things over to see what I could be missing. I noticed when I twist the throttle all the way to fast I still have more rotation left in the THROTTLE CAM FOLLOWER so the carb is not fully open when I'm at WOT. So what is the proper way to take out the slop I know I need to adjust the carburetor arm and the throttle cam follower. Should I hold it at WOT, take out the slop so the carb is fully open and thats it?