1985, 85 hp force

brandenbmx

Recruit
I just got my boat back today from the marina after paying 250 for impellar and thermostat. So I filled up my 6 gallon tank and put her in the water. I made not even 1 pass and was out of gas! I am leaking fuel out of the bottom carb! like a ton. I pulled the cover off and followed all the lines, no lines are leaking, and the motor itself, is pretty sluglish but I dont think it is running super rich. I think it is just leaking a ton of fuel out of the bottom carb. The bowl is not leaking its poring out of the butterfly! What could be going on here? Im extremely mechanicaly inclined but this is my first 2 cycle and its all greek to me... I cant afford to continue to have the marina look at this and I cant afford the gas/oil to run her like this.... so what can I do.

Any help would be great

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985, 85 hp force

I just got my boat back today from the marina after paying 250 for impellar and thermostat.

They didnt run it to tell you something else was wrong? maybe they loosened something?

cordell

maxum247

Lieutenant

Check the float in the carb that is leaking, sounds like the float is sticking or is possibly gas logged and not regulating the gas flow as it should, causing the gas to over flow out the carb.

john from md

Commander

The float in the lower carb is leaking or stuck open. If you haven't cleaned them in a while, now is a good time. They are simple and a rebuild kit costs about $15 each.

Regards,

John

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Do it slow or do it fast, but don't do it half-fast.

At this point, remove all three carbs, take off the bowls and hand clean them. I like WD40 --It removes varnish almost immediately and what doesn't come off usually is then easy to remove with a green scrubby pad.. Use the red tube and spray all the passages.

I don't think I have ever seen a fuel logged float but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen so check them.

Check to see that the float is not hanging up and that the inlet needle is not stuck in a partially open position.

Some needles had rubber tips. If yours are like that, check to see that the rubber is not missing. If you have a solid needle, unscrew the fitting it rides in and check the rubber seat. Sometimes the seat is bad and sometimes you get lucky and it is just a piece of crud holding the needle from closing fully.

The only tools you will need are a small screwdriver, a 1/2 inch wrench, a 7/16 wrench, and the proper tool to remove the carb cover.

Time --maybe an hour or two.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Guess I was thinking of carbs that use the hollow floats and can fill with gas if a pin hole get's in them. In turn letting the gas flow as the needle and float are in the open position because the float is logged with gas and won't rise to shut off the gas flow.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 85 leaked in the same way. There were holes in the copper colored float.This problem had fuel leaking all over the motor and into the water. Can't figure out how the holes started or how long this was going on. So check the float, look for holes, use a needle to probe for holes, or submerge the float in water and look for air bubbles.