OMC Cobra...'nuff said!

o-jay

Cadet
Hi folks, new user here. I've got an '87 4.3L with and OMC Cobra outdrive. I've done enough research to come to grips with the multitude of shift issues on this outdrive. Mr. Hastings' experiences not withstanding, has anybody had any success changing one of these things out to something else? Maybe an aftermarket shifter (with some provision for the ESA), re-fit to Mercruiser, update to Volvo....anything? I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic on everthing from my cars to boats to bikes. I'm a veteran of a recent engine change-out on this boat as well as several cars/trucks, even a motorcycle, so I can take the heat - just trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel if I can.

Thanks -

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra...'nuff said!

Well,

see my signature

Just unbolt all the OMC stuff, and bolt in all the "new " Mercruiser stuff.

You may have to drill 2 small additional holes for 8 studs on some merc transoms and you may have to relocate engine mounts.

You may also uncover transom or stringer problems (rot) but that's not related to the type of engine drive.

Regards,

Rick

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is nothing wrong with a Cobra as long as u have the shift issues straightened out. Parts are still available. I mean the Cobras, not the 400 or 800 series stringer drives. I have an '87 3.0 that is still going strong. Yea, you can make the switchover, but it ain't gonna be cheap.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Just every so often take your drive off and grease the &^%&$#@ out of it.
WD it.Then pack it in lithium .Jerry

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well...I don't want to turn this into an OMC bashing contest.......BUT

There is one little tiny thing........OMC is out of business. (is there an echo in here?)

Some parts (depending on your model) are simply either not available or extremely scarce.

Yea, you can make the switchover, but it ain't gonna be cheap.

I paid $5000 for a complete 97 454 Bravo III, transom, harness, gages, steering/throttle/shift cables, trim pump, everything.....and the guy brought it here and helped me pull it out of his boat! (I could have had the boat and trailer too for about $1000 more (it was repairable but I have WAY too many projects!!)

You're right. it's never cheap... NOTHING about boats is cheap.

Regards,

Rick

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1987 OMC 4.3 Cobra outdrive in a 18ft runabout, parts are getting hard to find & pricey too. and nobody wants to work on them either.BUT i have mine running perfect, new shifter & cables. once you get them right they are strong .:D

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cobra owner here. Get it adjusted, maintain and enjoy it. If it grenades, replace it all with Merc stuff. It's very close to a bolt-in operation.

phillyc1

Cadet

Here's my 2 cents. Have a 1989 4.3l with the cobra. Went thru the same issues with shifting. Did all the required adjusting, new ESA module etc.. to no avail. Turns out the lower unit was wearing out, bearings and gears sat in old milky, water logged gear oil. The prior owner didn't take care of it. So, finnally it gave out 3 weeks ago. My options, replace lower unit $2k, replace whole unit with remaned cobra, $3.5k, or the one I wanted the most, replace with a Volvo SX with little mods to the exisiting cobra, $5k.

I ended up with buying the lower unit for $2k. So far, it shifts like a top. It did not make $$ sense bolting on the Volvo SX to an old boat. Anything more than $2k, and I'd cosider a new boat.