1985 Too-Thirsty-Five! (fuel use related)

jshall

Cadet
Hey guys-
Just had a great family/fishing weekend in the keys (15lb dolphin, sailfish, and a 25lb blackfin tuna!), but I started wondering about a seemingly increased amount of fuel consumption.

Before launching, filled up with 48 gallons of 87 octane. I usually use 89, but with the extra $ I decided to try 87.

On Saturday, we spent about 8 hours out on the water. We ran outside the reef a few miles, maybe 4 or 5, then trolled for a good long while, then ran around some some more, and finally back in. Sunday we spent less than half the same amount of time out. The run in and out was effectively the same, but a lot less trolling time. At the end of Sunday, I wasn't sure I had enough gas to make it back to the dock, which we did, but by the gauge ( new sender about a month ago) we were very close to empty.

After I got home, and was flushing the motor, and generally cleaning up, I pulled the cover and was looking at things, and noticed a fair amount of fluid, gas/oil mix around all the carbs. The top of the top carb was pretty dry, but from the bottom of the top carb all the way down was pretty wet. I ran the motor some with the cover off and did not see any obvious fuel leaks.

I realize this is a very subjective question, but do you think that amount of fuel is too much consumed? Also, how "wet" should the exterior of the carbs realistically be? Is it time for a new gasket set? I have not done a decarb in a bit, so thats coming up this weekend, and if the gaskets are shot, I'll clean the carbs as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Too-Thirsty-Five! (fuel use related)

My 1993 150 hp V6 Johnson 60* used to have fresh 50:1 gas in exactly the same spots you describe, and also leaked down to the lower cowling. I could never see a leak. I kept running it this way, I don't know if there is anything you can do. I think this happens when you tilt the engine all of the way, but that's just me thinking.

Remember, it is a 1985, right?

jshall

Cadet

Maybe I'm grasping at straws. I had myself convinced that I typically didn't use that much fuel. Lots of $ these days.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you tilt the motor, the carbs have a tendency to run over, and drip on the bottom carb. releasing the fuel line before tilting, and trailering, cuts down on this.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Have someone squeeze the ball while you look for the leak,my guess is the hose into the carb,where the zip tie is may be leaking.As for your fuel use.I dont see where you use is excessive.I live in the Keys and from land to the reef (Islamorada)is 4-6 miles,add to that you ran offshore,trolled 8hrs,ran home and did it again.Frankly ,thats good.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

As far as the fuel consumption, if the fuel was 10% ethanol, we have been seeing about a 20 -25% reduction in fuel mileage on customers vehicles with ethanol. It doesn't have the same BTU's as regular gasoline does and thus requires more to be burned to produce the same power. Just a thought. I agree with the others on the tilting causing the fuel leak.
--
Stan

jshall

Cadet

Thanks guys- I remember the days of being able to fill this boat up for about $100 (60 gals), and now $200 for less than a full tank caught at the right time to make a real impression.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i remember my dad fussing when it went to 25 cents a gallon.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Borx170 - the leak on the 60* carbs is probably thet "BB" in the side of the bowl. Fuel tends to weep thru. Next time you have the carbs off, put some epoxy over them. The surface has to be clean and dry for it to stick.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Bit off topic ,but.Anyone remember a gas called TYDOL-ETHYL.I have an old pump price card.Back from when prices hardly changed much(Iguess)the price was 14 cents per gallon,PLUS the ONLY TAX federal/state 5 cents for a grand total of 19 cents.This came from an old mom and pop gas station outside NYC,laying in an old trash heap.They still had the old pumps inside,those big ol steel wrenchs with all the odd bends and twists to fit various cars.I could fish the Cuban waters daily on that price.Now I run to the reef and bottomfish.Trolling allday is a luxury.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I don't care how bad mileage I got - 14 cents a gallon? I could live with that...

We saved a ton on trolling whan we got the flats boat. We troll all day on 24 volts. Fished 2 days at a tournament a couple weeks ago and didn't burn 6 gallons of gas. But the batteries were tired.