Opti Max 150 "faulty Sensor Alarm."

sduffy

Recruit
I have twin 2001 Opti Max 150 with 225 hours and am having an issue with one of them.
Early this week, the Smartcraft alarm sounded indicating a oil reserve problem.
I checked the reserve tank on that engine and it was full. Have read on previous thread of faulty oil sensor in tank, giving false alarm readings.
Pulled sensor out of reserve oil tank to inspect but now, my smartcraft alarm is constantly reading faulty sensor and puts that engine in safe mode....

Any suggestions would be helpful. Some have suggested that running anything but Opti Max oil leads to break down of sensor float.
Is it as simple as installing a new sensor rod?

Thanks

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Opti Max 150 "faulty Sensor Alarm."

I know that you are trying to fix it, but you can unplug the harness from the sensor and then go through the calibration (CAL1 or 2)of the gauge and tell it that it is "not installed", this will prevent you from going into gaurdian for the time being. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I thought you meant the external tank and sending unit... you can't unplug the engine mounted one. I just read that someone removed the engine mounted tank and cleaned the float and everything with laquer thinnner, and it worked again.

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

er here, seen it, done it, repleace tank on motor. the inside float is NG !!!!

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These tank floats seem to be an issue... mine acted up right out of the crate for a few weeks, seems fine now. I wonder if you could coat the float when they are new with something to prevent saturation.... is it also true that most problems are from not using the opti oil??