how much my boat weighs??

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any one know how much my boat weighs?? 88 4winns horizon 200

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how much my boat weighs??

I could take a blind guess and say 4000lbs. But, that is a useless number.

Take your boat down to a truckstop with a scale. Fill all fuel tanks on the tow vehicle and boat. It helps to load the boat just as if you were on your way to use it. Don't for get that Cooler full of ice and beverages!

If you don't know how they operate here what to do:

1. Pull onto the scale and push the button on the intercom.
2. The operator will ask "first weigh or re-weigh?" Say "first weigh".
3. They might ask for truck and trailer number. if you want to make up one that is fine. Some people use the last three of their licence plate #. I usualy just tell them I don't have one.
4. They will tell you to pull off, or come in. Either way pull off the scale and park in a spot. Then walk inside to the fuel desk and pay for your scale ticket. This is usualy $6-$10.
5. Disconect your trailer and return to the scale with just your tow vehicle.
6. When they ask "first weigh or re-weigh?" Say Re-weigh. They may ask for a number from your first scale ticket so keep this handy.
7. Repeat steps 3 and 4 but it usualy only costs $1-$2 for a re-weigh. Note: some place will charge you full price the second time since it is a different number of vehicles on the scale.

This seams complicated to some people but it really only takes about 5-10 minutes. What you will get are some very important number.

1. The first ticket will be your total GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) This is important to make sure you aren't over loading your tow vehicle.
2. The second ticket will give you the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of your tow vehicle.
3. By subtracting the GVW from the GCVW you will get the true weight of your boat and trailer.

You can take this a step further and weigh the trailer by itself to get the weight of the boat only if so desired.

Good Luck and I hope this helps!

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

Freedom

Cadet

If you just want rough estimate I can do a little better. Four Winns specs, (by the way you can find all of this at the Four Winns website) puts your boat without engine at 1800 lbs. If it's an IO the engine is 800-900 lbs. If it's an outboard 400-450 lbs. 44 Gal gas tank full would be about 440 lbs. Extra gears got to run 100-200 lbs. So in total your running about 3200 lbs. Also if you have a Four Winns trailer design for that boat it weighs 900 lbs.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess my 4000lbs guess was pretty close after all!

Mike M.

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4k seems like a good number too me!!! I didnt know the 4winns website had info for boats as old as mine...thanx again..