Tape? Marking tape!

WizeOne

Commander
Here's the deal. I have so many different electronic/computer cables that only fit specific devices, I figer I should have a way to mark them.

The idea came to mind to wrap each cable with a durable piece of tape that I could write the name of the device they were intended for. A tape that would accept a durable ink and not deteriorate with time and handling.

Any ideas.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tape? Marking tape!

You can buy those plastic labels.They are like blank tags with a little zip tie so you can write what you need on them.
I think office depot has them..

or the cloth duct tape and a sharpie marker...:)

i386

Captain

They make label machines for cables but they are expensive. Here was my poor man's solution.

I used one of those cheap $20 label machines (Dymo, Brother, etc...). Reduce the font size you can read it. You stick the label on the cable lengthwise. It probably won't wrap around all the way. Next you need to apply a piece of scotch tape over the label. If you skip the scotch tape step, the label will come off in a couple days due to the natural springiness of the plastic label wanting to return to it's natural flat state.

Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't look half bad.

Last edited:

WizeOne

Commander

They make label machines for cables but they are expensive. Here was my poor man's solution.

I used one of those cheap $20 label machines (Dymo, Brother, etc...). Reduce the font size you can read it. You stick the label on the cable lengthwise. It probably won't wrap around all the way. Next you need to apply a piece of scotch tape over the label. If you skip the scotch tape step, the label will come off in a couple days due to the natural springiness of the plastic label wanting to return to it's natural flat state.

Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't look half bad.

Why couldn't you apply the tape around the cable and stick it back to itself. It would be like a tag.

Are the newer label tapes as stiff as the old ones that you used to punch by hand? Even so, you could just make them short and use the smallest font.

I thought about the duct tape/sharpie Gary. The tape would probably hold up well but Sharpies are by no means permanent. With any handling the ink would slowly disappear.

i386

Captain

Why couldn't you apply the tape around the cable and stick it back to itself. It would be like a tag.

Are the newer label tapes as stiff as the old ones that you used to punch by hand? Even so, you could just make them short and use the smallest font.

I thought about the duct tape/sharpie Gary. The tape would probably hold up well but Sharpies are by no means permanent. With any handling the ink would slowly disappear.

I tried that once but, I couldn't get the label stuck to itself precisely enough. So there was some sticky showing and that caused problems.

No they're not that stiff, but they will come off in a short time if used like I described.

Coors

Captain

Years ago, I gave up the tape, etc. I just put the cardboard key tags, that have the string loop on them. Ain't pretty, but lasts a long time.