Evinrude damaged by salt water- help

First let me begin by saying I am rookie at all this. I live off the Cheasapeake Bay (Norfolk) and have kept a circa 1990, 15 hp two cycle evinrude in the bottom of the boat in case my other older, larger motor gave out. Through my own foolishness last winter some salt water got in the bottom of the boat and around the motor but it was not totally submerged. I didn't get to it right away, but when I did the engine was locked up and so I eventually took off the head, sprayed on some penetrating oil and got the engine to turn over. I put the head back on, fiddled with the wires and got it to spark on both cylinders. However the throttle didn't work because the mechanism under the fly wheel with all the electronics on a plate was frozen and unable to rotate (to advance the ignition I assume.) I have removed the fly wheel, but can't get the electronics to free up or come off. I can move them if I tap them with a hammer. I don't know if the electric starter is any good. Since I took off the flywheel the cylinders are hung up, but I figure that has to do with my efforts to remove the electronic plate mechanism.So my questions:
1. How do I get the electronic mechanisms off the shaft? Are there any bolts or screws I can't see?
2. Is there any way to get a diagram of what it looks like off the internet?
3. Am I just wasting my time, and it is time to junk what was once a sweet little motor?

Any advice would be welcomed. I feel like I am writing to Dear Abby.

Cheers,

R

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude damaged by salt water- help

Junk it.
Signed, Abby.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Post some pics of the cylinders and under the flywheel if you can and welcome to iBoats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i believe it is too late. without a complete rebuild. which will probably cost more than replacing it.

Thanks. I fear that the advice to junk it is probably the best, but I would like to give it a shot. How do I get the plate off?

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're too late. Your reid valves are stuck, starter bad, many other interrior components bad, requiring rebuild. It is one thing if a motor seizes w/o salt water, due to lack of use, but your situation requires much disassembly of the engine. Even if you do this work yourself, replace everything that is bad, it will haunt you for years.

I have pickled many engines that have totally submerged in salt water, but you have to do it within 12 hrs of emersion from salt. I am still running one that sumbersed x 2. Letting something sit as long as you have ruins it, bro. Trust me, I did it once wit a 115 hp. It had a little salt water splash into the lower carb. I thought it was ok, because I ran it home. I let it set for a month, and it wouldn't start up again. Should have pulled it out that night and pickled it...

ukmember

Seaman

Good luck with this, i purchased a very sad looking 30hp evinrude and boat package for ?400 as a treat for me to do whilst the wife didnt have me doing the house up, not as bad yours but very corroded, ordered all of my bits from the states as it was half the cost of buying from the UK.

What i would do in your position is try find a non running engine of the same age etc and use all the bits from 2 to make one good one get some contect duck oil if you can and spray every where to try and release the corosion, i had no gears on mine managed get these working after much effort and now taking the engine to a local dealer to get it serviced and make sure that it worth carrying on with for next year when i eventually get the boat in the water,

If it is not then i havent really spent a great deal of money im guessing no more than ?50 in bits so far.

Regards

UK Member

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Refer to the Dear Abby reply above. That's the right answer! BTW, these motors make lousy paperweights.