45 HP Lower Unit?

Chado339

Cadet
I have an issue with the lower unit skipping when at higher RPM. ITs the clutch or gears worn or something. I am looking to swap out lower units. I have a Model 458HB (1972), I have found another unit that is a 455HG (1974). Will this unit work with my outboard. The only difference is that there are screens on the outside of the casing. Its either water intake or some kind of vent. Mine do not have this. I have attached the URL of a picture of the unit I am looking at. Does anyone else know where I should be looking for a cheap used lower unit. Any help would be appreciated...

-Chad
http://www.outboardnuts.com/2008_04290039.JPG

conor1366

Seaman
Re: 45 HP Lower Unit?

I had the same problem with my 1975 45hp model 455HH. I just ordered a replacement rebuilt from Franzmarine.com. I was told it was too high of a price at 450 bucks but Franz is knowledgeable enough that I trusted him to pay what I thought it was worth which was full price. You may be able to find a rebuilt one cheaper but it was already a done deal when I heard it was too high of a price. If I were you I would get a rebuit one instead of just swapping for one that could be in the same shape as yours. You can rebuilt them easily but the parts are outrageous prices.

when I took the LU off the motor and dissasembled it the pinion gear was worn pretty bad and needed replaced...so you make the call.

there is s ton of knowledgable folks on this forum that can help you more than I can...certified Chrysler motor nuts...and I mean that in a good way