Ready to OIL a fresh 2.5L Mercruiser

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class
A few weeks ago there was a thread about how to rent a tool from the likes of AutoZone to run the oil pump on a SBC to pre-oil prior to starting the first time. The old trick of simply running the oil pump with a shaft driven from a drill was thrown out because a portion of the distributor hole had to be blocked in some way for it to be effective.

Is this true of the GM inlines (1984 120/2.5L) also? If so will the same device work on these engines as for the SBC? Any other cautions?

Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ready to OIL a fresh 2.5L Mercruiser

If so will the same device work on these engines as for the SBC?

Ayuh,.... The Idea is the same, but the Tool is different because the Dist. housings are different.....

What I do is,...
Fill the oil,...
Remove the Sparkplugs,+ Crank the motor with the Starter...
When it show oil pressure on a direct mount gauge,...
Throw the plugs back in,+ Light it...

It'll do the same thing, only easier....

Jack Rose

Cadet

I just, today, rented such a tool from AutoZone. They called it an oil primer. The deal was to put down a $25 deposit and get it all back when you return the tool. So, there's actually no rental fee.

I asked the guy the time limit and he said there is none. So, I suppose it's my tool until I decide I need the $25 even more. This is in Knoxville, TN, so it may be different, elsewhere.

He wasn't sure that it would work on Mercruisers, but I figured that since it's made for GMs with distributors, I'd gamble that it's the right tool. If not, I'm not out any money but gas to and from.

My engine is a GM Mercruiser 330, and I'm betting your setup is similar. And yes, it does have a solid cylindrical gizmo (looks like the slide hammer on a dent puller) that's fixed to the shaft and covers, I guess, the top of the oil pump, and a sliding disk above that which must cover the top of the distributor opening and help keep things lined up.

I don't know if all GM distributors are alike, but this tool is keyed to a slot in the oil pump shaft, whereas, I think Ford oil pumps require a hexagonal shape.

I think most of this is fairly accurate. Someone who knows what they're talking about can fill in the blanks.

Jack

By the way, I like Bond-o's method better, using the starter, but my engine has been sitting longer, so I figured I'd better be careful in case a piston is stuck.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the problem with bondo's method is that it rubs the very important break in lube and parkerizeing off the camshaft (of course if its a roller cam it doesn't matter) but the best way it to prime is with a oil pump primer until there is oil coming from the push rods. then try to start it with the least amount of starter time

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

the problem with bondo's method is that it rubs the very important break in lube and parkerizeing off the camshaft (of course if its a roller cam it doesn't matter) but the best way it to prime is with a oil pump primer until there is oil coming from the push rods. then try to start it with the least amount of starter time

Wouldn't it be fine if you were using rotella T 30 wt for break in oil since it has the much greater anti-scuff properties more akin to good breakin lubes, etc...? I just broke in a flat tappet cam, but had a homemade tool from an old distributer...