Building a boat from scratch?

sffilm1

Cadet
Hello, I am thinking of building my own 18 footer. I have had two boats in the past (still pretty new at it all though, both bought this year). Anyway, I just wondered if first, it can be done. Second, difficulty and pitfalls. I'd just like to hear about/see some that were built from scratch as well. Any advice?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Building a boat from scratch?

simple flat bottom not a bad job, v bottom gets much more technical. do a lot of studing boat building. i have built several, when much younger.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

wood glass or tin?

wood is done all the time......

glass is done all the time... but you will need a mold, or make one.

tin?......you need skills.

pitfalls are

1.time
2.space
3.patientce

read the hull extension thread it is as clost to a total as there is

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Sffilm1, I built my own boat from scratch. I took my time, bought the best materials I could afford and worked on it as much as I could without ruining my life or my family. It took me 4 + years and much more money than I ever expected. At the end of it all, however, I ended up with a nice little gem. It's unique, it's fun and it's mine. I also learned a lot and I know every square inch of her. The only mistake I made was that I built too small. I should have built larger - and by that I mean an 18 footer. My boat is 16' 7".

There are going to be times when you will definitely need a partner. For the first year (during the hull construction) my wife was my partner. As I got nearer the end of the project and there was some heavier work to be done, my brother-in-law was my assistant.

You're going to end up acquiring a lot of different hand tools and power tools. My suggestion is that you go ahead and spend the money to buy the good ones - you'll save money in the long run. (I bought the red ones and some of the dark blue ones.)

Buy yourself some books and READ. It's worth it. Building is pretty easy and a lot of fun. It's the sanding and painting that's the killer. Doesn't matter, though, do it right or don't do it at all. When you're building, keep surface preparation in mind every step of the way. I ended up spraying my boat - and it looks great.

Safety first. Eyes and lungs require protection. I have a 10" radial arm saw, and I'm extra careful every time I switch that sucker on.

I used mahogany, marine plywood, fiberglass and untold gallons of epoxy. I also used silicon bronze and 316 SST fasteners. If the mahogany gets bashed or gashed, it remains rot resistant. As far as the plywood goes, I highly recommend putting a layer of cloth on any side that will be exposed to atmosphere BEFORE you cut it up and start using it. (For example, the INSIDE of the hull, floor and deck boards, etc.) It goes without saying that any plywood on the outside of the hull should be fiberglassed, but you can do that after the hull is together.

When you build, you should build heck for stout. It doesn't matter if it "looks really strong" in the garage. It only matters if it stays really strong when you're a couple of miles offshore and you've got the bow planted into a wave that's taller than you are. ;)

One last thing. You don't need to be a master woodworker to build a boat. What you need to be is persistent. Really really persistent. Enjoy!

Frame.jpg

Port_Side.jpg

erikgreen

Captain

It's entirely possible to build your own boat. It will come out stronger, cheaper, and at better quality than any manufacturer made boat, and will be exactly what you want.

Plus you won't have to deal with demolition of rotten wood, bad design choices by the manufacturer, wet foam, or shortcuts made in construction.

Boats are built every day by amateur builders in steel, wood, aluminum, and one-off fiberglass composites. Check out some of the following sites for info:

www.bateau.com (some nice designs and friendly designers)
www.glen-l.com (old school designs)
www.bruceroberts.com (really big boats/yachts, you can get CNC files for local cutting).

I myself have been giving some thought to building a steel hull pocket trawler... it'd take a while to weld up, but last forever... :)

Erik

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

This person did. its a wake boat, but a boat non the less
http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=516

I just checked out all the pictures of the build. Wow! That dude has some skill. :)

I've built a few boats:

Sam Devlin: Polliwog
Glen-L: Squirt
Stephenson: Weekender
Nick Schade: Sea Kayak

I don't think I'd attempt one out of steel though. :confused:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Check out the Glen-L and Duckworks Web sites. Looks like fun, maybe someday I'll be brave enough with time to burn. You only live once, go for it if you're interested.

zach103

Commander

Bateau is a good site to use. they have a forum there too for any help. but their plans start with kayaks to small trawlers.. start with somthing small. the one i was looking at only cost about $200

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked out all the pictures of the build. Wow! That dude has some skill. :)

I've built a few boats:

Sam Devlin: Polliwog
Glen-L: Squirt
Stephenson: Weekender
Nick Schade: Sea Kayak

I don't think I'd attempt one out of steel though. :confused:

Yeah, I checked out the photo gallery too, I was blown away. Crazy skills. and a lot more patience than I have. I get frustrated replacing the stringers, this guy built a pro boat from ground up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow I just scrolled through the steel wakeboard boat gallery. AMAZING!