17 or 19 Pitch

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am taking my bayliner capri out tomorrow for the first time, I hope. My question, since I know a few of you have this same boat is what pitch prop to use. The boat is 18 foot and a 1990 in year. my motor is 85 HP and 1987 in year. Any thoughts?

thanks
cordell

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 17 or 19 Pitch

OK I now have a bit more info to add. With the 17 pitch prop I hit about 29 on GPS. The boat also jumped on a plane pretty quick, I have what I call a whale tail on the motor. Would this slow me down at all or is this something I need to get on a plane? I will hook my tach up soon and get rpm's. I would think I should hit 34 or so at WOT right?

cordell

Nandy

Commander

I dont have much answers for you. However, I suggest you find the boat weight with your typical load. Also get the tach reading at wot with the current prop and typical load. Post that here they should be able to tell you what route to go. Also let them know what will be the typical use. Cruisers have different needs than skiers so the prop pitch will be more than likely different. A lot of users have more than one prop for different activities. Good luck. I will be asking the same question hopefully before august.

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not the resident expert but will tell ya the 17 will give you the better holeshot -lower speed but higher rpms,the 19 gives higher speed-slower plane and lower rpms. The experts will ALL tell ya you need to know 2 major factors,WOT range and rpm's and until you know that your pretty much going nowhere. Fast nor slow!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, Cordell! My combo was an 18 foot closed bow Renken with a Chrysler 85. It went 29-30 with a 17 pitch prop as I remember. Your 85 will most probably be happier with the 17 pitch---although the 19 is not out of the question. It will load the engine down below the recommended full throttle RPM and top speed will probably be less, but for cruising, it will act a bit like overdrive and give just a little better fuel milage.

Try the boat with and without the hydrofoil. Some boats absolutely need them to get out of the hole. Others -- it just made the previous owner feel better. If your trim is working and the hull is not *** heavy, you most likely will not need it.

On some boats it will have no effect on speed, on others it will rob up to 5 MPH. You won't know until you try it each way.

I think with that engine and boat combo, 34 is a little optimistic. 32 would be more like it--with average to light load.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put the 19 on last week and could feel the hole shot drop but top speed increase, even with another person in the boat. Excited as I was I forgot to pull out the GPS. I know dumb arse! Anyway I installed my tach today and will be running again on the 4th. So I will have new numbers to put out here RPM at last...

cordell

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got to looking at my 2 props and think one might be a 15 and the other a 17. One has 15 stamped on the side with no other numbers, the hub has some numbers that googled to find nothing. The second prop has this stamped on it. 13 RP> 17 But then again off to the side the number 19 is stamped also. Small stamp and not in line with the 13 RP> 17. Maybe I have a 15 and a 17? I have the 17 I think on there now and will have RPM to post tomorrow.

john from md

Commander

What are you using the boat for? If skiing or tubing, I would use a 17, if cruising and fishing, I would use a 19.

Let us know what your rpm is at wot.

John