Running HOT!

mca1634

Cadet
I have a 2000 200 efi merc. The engine is spitting water but it is extremely hot. Could this be the impeller even though it is getting water? Possible impeller clog? Please Help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Running HOT!

Since your engine has an overheat alarm, if the engine was actually overheating that alarm would be sounding (providing it actually works). The fact that the tell tale is showing a good stream has nothing to do with overheating. The tell tale merely tells you the water pump is forcing water to the engine. Note that I said TO the engine (not through it). A stuck thermostat and or bypass valve will cause overheating as will a number of other engine problems such as a blown or leaking head gasket and a cooling system that has been packed with sand due to running close to a sand bar. Determine first if the engine is actually overheating and if so, then diagnose why. Some engines simply run hotter than others so the next step is to determine if the engine is or is not overheating. That can be done with an inexpensive infrared temp gun or "temp sticks" which are temperature sensitive wax sticks that melt at specific temperatures.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You should prolly repost this down in the Merc Outboard forum vvvvvv and you'll get a better response. Welcome aboard iboats and good luck!!

kellyisu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Still feel the tell tail stream and see if the water is unusually warm/hot to the touch. I had a good tell tail stream on my motor last year but the impeller had a few blades on it that were shot and was not putting out just enough water to cool the motor properly, although the steam coming out of the motor still looked efficiant enough. Replaced impellar and all good now.