pull rope start 200hp 1976 evinrude help

OK heres my problem, my starter gear got stuck in the up position and the flywheel ate the starter gear (new gear and spring on order). I can handle this problem. The night this happened I was fishing with some friends and decided to use the back up rope to start my engine( loop around flywheel and pull) and was able to start my engine many times that night until we were ready to leave. Then I could barley pull the rope fluidly. The compressions (3 of them or so in a pull) seemed nearly impossibly to quickly pull. Any ideas to why? I took all the spark plugs out and it pulled smooth as could be but as soon as I put the plugs back in, same thing?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: pull rope start 200hp 1976 evinrude help

Where was the throttle, spark advance when rope starting? Rope starting a 200, once whould put most people right to the dock.

control throttle at neutral, key turned at 45 degree angle(normal key position), tried with the flywheel at all positions. like I said, I was pull starting successfully multiple times and have done it on several trips to the lake, but now its much harder to pull that damn rope off the flywheel.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Sorry! But I'm at a loss, just never tried to rope start a 200. Why not go back to the electric start, and see how that works. If the electric starter has a bent bendix, or was hanging up on the flywheel, that suggests a problem with a back-fire, or an ignition problem.

I'm getting a new starter gear and spring, I think the spring was weak because i've already replaced the gear twice and the shaft is straight and once it's running its great, but my issue is that the gear won't be avail. until Fri. and I'm off work tommorrow and the weather's gonna be great and it's the last day my kids in town till xmas and I wanna fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you have the motor trimmed up some to ease the backpressure on the exhaust?

Also look into why the bendix failed before installing your new one.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

To Rjohnson's comment. If by chance the throttle handle was at full forward when you were pulling, it will be more difficult because the timing is at full advance. Make sure the control box handle was in neutral.