40 hp johnson lower end repairs

trpc202

Recruit
I am working on an older (year unknown) johnson 40hp. It has lower end problems. Turn prop over by hand, you can feel the engine turn over, BUT, W/motor running, prop does not engage.
I need info/manual. I'm sure it's in the lower end, but what?

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 40 hp johnson lower end repairs

first we are going to need a little more info. we can be most helpful with a model number and serial number. you can get those numbers in one of two places. 1. on the port side transom bracket. 2. on a silver disk on the power head (engine), located on top just rear of the flywheel. your problem could be as simple as a new prop. try to describe the problem better. is there a noise when you try and engage the gears? etc...

CATransplant

Admiral

What larky said. Johnson 40 hp outboards took many forms. Some were mechanical shift, and there were two versions of electric shift. If you can find the model number, we'll be able to help you figure out your problem. It may be something very simple, so don't start taking things apart just yet.

If you can't find the model number on the engine, take some photos and post them. Someone will recognize the year. Once we have the model set, we'll have some more questions for you.

trpc202

Recruit

OK, so far I have a ser# 2072069 w/"RDS 22" on same plate (on motor front).
I don't know yet what the motor does when you try to run it. Previous owner said there was a pin broken somewhere in drive line. I'm looking for info/diagrams and or free manual to trouble shoot this farther.
Should have mod#/year soon (someone is looking for it)
Thanks for help so far.

CATransplant

Admiral

RDS22 is the model number, which correlates to a 1960 Johnson 40hp. It's a mechanical shift and, unless it's been converted to a long shaft, it fits a 15" transom.

Lots of threads on that great old engine.

If it isn't going into gear, then the first place to look is the shift rod connector, which you'll find behind an oblong shaped cover on the midsection. You'll need to remove the outer covers to get access to it and to the connector.

The pin being referred to could be the drive pin for the prop. If you remove the cotter key in the plastic cone on the prop, you can see the drive pin. It goes through a brass sleeve that extends from the front of the prop and through the prop shaft. It's available from any Evinrude dealer, and fits outboards from 1958-1968 and beyond into the 1970s. If that's bad, it will prevent the prop from turning under power. It's a cheap thing to replace and you should have a couple of spares on hand.

You definitely need a manual, and I don't know of a free one. You can, if you must, get by with the SELOC manual that covers a bunch of engines, but the factory manual is best. Sadly, your engine is covered only in the Master Manual, published in 1964, which covers all of the one and two cylinder Johnsons from the 20s through 1964. Still, it's the best manual, even though it costs a good deal.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just exactly what do you mean by prop does not engage? Does it grind and chatter? Does it just slip like spinning your wheels on the ice? Turning it by hand proves nothing....unless you are as strong as 40 horses. Be more specific about the symptoms and we have a pretty good chance of leading you right to the problem. Otherwise we are guessing.

trpc202

Recruit

OK,
First, all I was told was that the prop did not spin when motor was running in barrel. I do not know what type of noise (if any) it makes when running/trying to engage drive/reverse.
Again, I was told by previous owner that a pin was broken. Having grown up w/40hp johnson, was sure that it was the lower pin (prop pin). When I tried to turn the prop by hand, it felt like motor was turning over, thus, no broken pin. I
have not checked pin(s). Am going to work on it later today. Just trying to get any manual/diagrams/info I can find to make job easier.
I agree that it sounds like the shift linkage is out of whack. but am going to ck pins as a matter of course.
Thanks for info thus far.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the top right side of this page for manuals; look for "Johnson Manuals"

trpc202

Recruit

thanks, but was looking for FREE on-line manuals/diagrams (see posting).

The info CATransplant provided helps ALOT.

If anybody out there knows of any free manuals/diagrams for this motor please forward links.

I should know more this afternoon.
Thanks for all the help

Last edited: