Need opinions about a purchase **update**

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,
My wife an I decided it was time to get a boat. So far we found two in our price range and I would like to get some opinions. This will be our first boat so we are not trying to bite off more then we can chew. The first is a 96 Chapparal 1830 with a 4.3 merc i/o and the second is a 95 sea ray 195 with a 4.3. The 1830 has a starting price of 7,350 but I believe hed would go down some but the Sea Ray is 7,000 firm. I have only seen these boats in pictures but would definatly give them a thorough inspecting with a friend of mine who has been around boats longer. My question is, if both of them turn out as nice in person as they do in the pics, which one would you go for and why?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need opinions about a purchase

In addition to the hull and engine condition consider how you are going to move the boat, the availability of slippage or storage fees and the annual running costs of each.

Having a good trailer thrown in the deal , anchors, line, PFDs, electronics, flares, etc. should also be considered.

Sometimes these factors will help one stand head and shoulders above the other.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 195 searay, with 4.3 is going to be minimum power for it's size. the price of both seem high for the market. 13 & 14 Y/O

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice

Having a good trailer thrown in the deal , anchors, line, PFDs, electronics, flares, etc. should also be considered.

Both boats will come with most of this, not sure about flares though. As for the price, I'm not finding too much better for the year range, but I'm not done looking either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sportsnut87

Cadet

just my 1 cent here, I dont have 2 cents anymore, to much boating,

I bought a 97 Sea Ray, I love the boat, I paid a bit more, mine was complete, tubes, ropes, 11 jackets, 8 of them are nice zipper ski jackets, ect

Some folks on here said I paid way way to much, and I appriaciate that, but in the end it was the best boat for the money and my family likes it. If I would have known I would have this much fun with my family I would have bought a boat 15 yrs ago. I own a small business and work 80 to 90 hours per week easy, Or I should say I did, now I find myself not working on Sundays and Boating or blowing off an hour early and boating, and guess what, the work is still getting done and my kids now like me again. LOL

Enjoy the new boat, just make sure it is what you want!!!!!!!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I totally agree with the above post - whether it's $7K or $8K doesn't make that big a dif. in the long run. It's about getting a boat you love and one that was well cared for. You'll spend that extra $1K ten times over during the first few years of boat ownership! Get a fair price on a boat that'sin great shape and enjoy it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Comparing those two boats is like comparing apples to oranges...both good boats..same engines,same general layout,the deciding factor is condition. How many hours on the engines? how well were they maintained? the interior condition will tell alot,due to the age of the 2 whichever has the better looking interior will be the one that was stored better..meaning covered...cleaned..maintained.
Look at the engines..are they clean? belts/hoses in good shape? inside of lockers..clean,free of debris? How about the boats finish? waxed? All these questions are Tell's....they will TELL alot about how much the former owners cared for there boats,or if they didnt and buffed them up to sell.

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Comparing those two boats is like comparing apples to oranges...both good boats..same engines,same general layout,the deciding factor is condition........

Uh...so, same engine, same general layout, deciding factor is condition....right, gotcha. So what you meant to say is that comparing those two boats is like comparing apples to apples, right?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No..it be apples to apples if the two boats were both Searays.....So thats why its Oranges & Apples..:D:D

sportsnut87

Cadet

its kind of like comparing a Select steak to a choice steak, if you cook the hell out of both, they are both bad, if you cook them both correctly, choice is the only way to go, where am I going with that, HUH

sorry I own a meat processing plant had to put it in my own terms

:redface:

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Moooo ving right along.........What were we talking about?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I?d research if either of these boats has wood stringers or transom. A 12 or 13 year old boat with structural wood members has a fair chance of rot. New Sea Rays have a fiberglass stringer system, not sure about the transom or what year they went to composite stringers. Chaparrals, I believe, were still being built with wood stringers around 2000. Not saying that?s the only thing I?d base my decision on, but construction would be a large part of it. Having replaced a transom and floor years ago, I?ve only owned wood-free boats since, a Bryant and a Ranger.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Where are you located at? Fresh or saltwater boats? Seems like a lot of wishfull thinking on the prices. See what the market did today? Around here, people cant give their boats away. Just my view. FRED

92 Invader

Cadet

You should be able to get a better idea once you meet the owners. But whatever you do, look it over really, really, really good! Take it piece by piece.

I was in the boat shop the other day and in walked a guy that was having a really bad day. He had just purchased a boat online and out of state without checking it over good. It was supposed to be "lake ready".

Bottom line.....the block was cracked, the starter was fried and who knows what else.

Chances are these boats are nice. Just do your homework!

Owning a boat has been a great experience. The kids are in tube heaven!

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice

The Chappy was sold before I could see it in person. I am going for a ride on the Sea Ray Sunday. My broter in law has checkied it out for me and if it is in the condition he says it is in, I'm going to make the purchase. I am glad it's the Sea Ray for the extra length which should mean extra room. I haven't been able to find much more in my price range, as I don't want to spend too much on my first, room to grow:D. I'm sure this will be a great boat for the wife and I. She is just as excited as me.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta take that sea run...spend some time to check for overheating, etc. Maybe have your brother in law aboard. Check for spongy decks, etc. Most upholstery issues are fairly easy fixes; can be done by someone fairly handy. Good luck, and maybe wait a day to see if he is really anxious to sell and drops a few more hundred!! Pine Island Fred nailed it also, many boats are sitting and can't be given away, at least in the central Florida area.

beilwing

Seaman Apprentice

We ended up taking the sea ray home. It has a few issues but I'm fairly handy and can take care of them. The hull, well all of the fiberglass is in great condition. The motor compartment looked like an 05 boat instead of a 95. Some of the bad marks are that some of they plywood will have to be replace and the carpets need a cleaning. Also there is no factory spot for a stereo so one was installed in the glove box, but it was not a good radio, and doesn't appear to be that great of an install job. We ran the boat for about an hour and a half with no temp problems we towed a knee boarder for quite a while. Alltogether we were on the water for about 4 hours. The motor pulled strong. It wasn't a big lake we were on, but I got it up to 44(acording to the speedo, which I know might not be accurate) but the was still throttle left. I started the cleaning process last night, and can't wait for the weekend.:D

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really inspect those "few plywood spots" carefully. I had "a few soft spots" in a boat that I recently purchased. After some investigating, those spots turned into rotten stringers and deck.... and possibly transom.

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need opinions about a purchase **update**

I agree with Tyson, check the floors real good. I am not an expert, however I think you would want to get the rot out asap, before it spreads. Hopefully you can catch it and replace the soft sections and replace the carpet. I would make sure you cut back enough to make sure you got it all.

I don't understand why some boats rot and some dont. I am on my second boat and looked at maybe 20 when buying, half had soft spots (10 year old boats) and the one I have now should have them, its a cheaper Sunbird and was left loosely covered with a tarp. The floor was actually wet when I first looked at it, I thought for sure after it dried up, soft spots would show up, however (knock on wood) so far so good.

Have fun with your new boat.

Best,

MS

2kwik4u

Seaman Apprentice

Some folks on here said I paid way way to much, and I appriaciate that, but in the end it was the best boat for the money and my family likes it.

This is the same spot I was in. I dropped $8,200 on a '98 Rinker 182 last year. While it wasn't the cheapest boat I found, it was certainly the nicest for the money. It had a couple extras (like 2 tops, and a custom canvas cover), the vinyl was in EXCELLENT condition, and the motor/drive had less than 10hrs on them (still had the UPC stickers on the outdrive when I brought it home!). All my buddies said I paid way to much for a '98 boat, and that was compounded by the engine/drive combo it has (3.0L/A1).

In the end I still feel like I got a good deal, and it's been well worth the money so far!

sportsnut87 said:
Enjoy the new boat, just make sure it is what you want!!!!!!!

So long as you are happy with what you got for what you spent, the rest of the world can "pound sand" in my opinion. Once you accept that thought process, lifes a breeze!