1989 25HP Merc - Leaking Oil - What kind?

modicon2

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 25hp merc leaking oil (see pic). I don't know what kind or where its coming from. The oil is a kind-of black/dark gray is doesn't have a strong odor (if anything is smells more like gas).

I going to work on this motor tomorrow and looking for any ideas/suggestions.
I guess I'm going to start by changing the lower unit gear oil just because it probably needs it and to check to see if its low. Based on the attached picture...can gear oil leak out this high up on the motor?

If it's not gear oil...what is it (2-cycle?).

Any ideas....please help....I going to tear into it tomorrow and looking for any help.

THANKS!

Attachments

• th_boat3.jpg
    th_boat3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1989 25HP Merc - Leaking Oil - What kind?

That ain't gear oil that high up! Can't tell for sure in the pic but is that a bolt showing thru the hole worn in the lower cowling (shroud)?

Maybe a powerhead mounting bolt has come loose and exhaust is blowing thru the bolt hole. If that bolt is what has worn the hole in the cowling, it's been that way for a while!

I'd pull the cowl piece off and get a look at what's going on in there. Something's leaking for sure!

HTH.......ed

modicon2

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 25HP Merc - Leaking Oil - What kind?

Thanks for the reply.
Yes that is a bolt showing thru a hole worn in the lower cowling. I never noticed that bolt until I noticed all the oil residue below it. All of the residue on the motor is from my last trip b/c I noticed it right away while puttin the transom saver after loading at ramp. It appears that the bolt has worn slightly thru the outer edge of shroud piece. The bolt is just resting on that lip now and I can take a thin screw driver and freely push the bolt up.

It sure seems that the leak and bolt are directly associated!

I'm going to attempt to take that shroud/cowling piece off so that I can see where the bolt came from.
Any tips on how to get that shroud off??

Any ideas on...if I run the motor causing any damage or more damage.

Thanks Again!