Analogies and Metaphors

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
These came from the annual "Dark and Stormy Night" competition. Actual analogies and metaphors found in high school essays: <br /><br />1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master. <br /><br />2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like u-nderpants in a dryer without Cling Free. <br /><br />3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it. <br /><br />4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. <br /><br />5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up. <br /><br />6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever. <br /><br />7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree. <br /><br />8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM. <br /><br />9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't. <br /><br />10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup. <br /><br />11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. <br /><br />12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze. <br /><br />13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease. <br /><br />14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph. <br /><br />15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth. <br /><br />16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met. <br /><br />17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River. <br /><br />18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut. <br /><br />19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do. <br /><br />20.. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work. <br /><br />21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while. <br /><br />22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something. <br /><br />23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant. <br /><br />24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools. <br /><br />25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up. <br /><br />26. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser. <br /><br />27. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Analogies and Metaphors

Cut it out before you get me fired like a skud missle for distracting everbody around me by laughing out loud and rolling around on the floor until my *** falls off like a guy who got hit in the *** with a skud missle!!!

aspeck

Staff member

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup. <br /><br />Definitely my favorite!

Twidget

Commander

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.<br /><br />Thats funny.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.<br /><br />Exactly.<br /><br />These are too funny!!<br /> :D :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Heeeheeheeheehee!!!! Yup. What Brian said. Giggle. . . snort. Gulp! :D :D :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I love em all. Some of them certianly do draw some vivid images in your mind...Like how a nose hair glistens after a sneeze. uggg...sure hope that don't stick in my mind all day playing over and over again.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze
a future Hallmark employee.<br /><br />Pure smoothness :D

gaugeguy

Captain

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant. <br /><br />Brilliant :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

The last one was... no, they all was the funniest things I've read in a while!!! (But just TRY to envision that last one!)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I had trouble getting past #1, kept imagining my face being compressed by Suzanne Sommers' thigh master!

sangerwaker

Commander

And how did that make you feel jtexas? :D :D :p <br /><br />Great one Spinner! Thanks for the laughs! :D :cool:

ebbtide176

Commander

the story brought an ear to ear grin on my face, the kind you get when the biggest bass you've ever seen just missed your lure, and while you're winding in line to cast again, your bud casts into the spot - and gets hung on a limb...