Another unintentional stringer job ? 1975 Searay SRV-220

joconsol

Recruit
First off thank to oops! And ErikGreen for shring there knowledge on this board and giving me the confidence to move forward with my project. So here it is.. A common story? I purchased a 1975 searay srv220 22? cuddy cabin 2 years ago. The owner had spent almost 4k installing a rebuilt mercrusier 233 w/ rebuilt sterndrive. 0 hours how could you go wrong !... After a year of use I decided it was time for an upgrade.. pulled the motor to install sea-star hydraulic steering. No problems there..smooth as silk now then replaced the motor? Then I noticed some the floor seemed to be checking in numerous areas. Lets jump ahead now..wet foam, water trapped below decks, Rotten rotten stringers, corroded fuel tank + fuel seepage. ? good thing I took a look? Dead boat right ? Heres the problem. I am somehow emotionally attached to this damn boat. I can?t explain it but my mission is to see it back on the water in all its glory??. Well that and the info garnered here have lead me to strip and grind (what a pita) the starboard side ala ?unintentional stringer job? problem is I couldn?t stop at the cuddy bulkhead. It was all rotten and had to go?
So now its on to the rebuild.. I hope you guys can help me answer a few questions? Here is what I know.
- I will be using West Sytem Expoxy
- I am using ?? marine grade ply for the stringers. I plan on laminating two pieces for a 1.5? stringer. (double what was there)
- Using PL to bed the stringers (more on that later)?
So here?s where I?m stuck
Can I use simple fabric to tab in and cap the stringers ? I have read a ton about bi-ax and such but I have ready access to stander 6 oz cloth. I know mat isn?t necessary for epoxy but how many layers of fabric are ? would two for the tabbing and one more to wrap suffice ? There was nothing but a thin chopper gun mat applied original on ?? ply but of course it was backed up by tons of foam (that I am not replacing). Advice is appreciated.

I will attach more pictures next post ( traveling currently w/o my camera)

Attachments

• iphone_boatupdates 101.JPG
    iphone_boatupdates 101.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 0

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Another unintentional stringer job ? 1975 Searay SRV-220

Hay Welcome !!!! this place has some of the greatest people on the net !!

i dont thnk you need to go that far with the stringers, 1 1/2 , you get your strenght from the glass not the wood, and I am doing 3 layers of glass with the epoxy !!! John

erikgreen

Captain

Oh lord, it's spreading!

Seriously, best of luck with this. I have a 1973 SRV220 in my driveway that I quit restoring a while back... it just needed too much work... I still like the lines on it better than my SRV210 though.

6 oz cloth is fine, just remember you'll have to build up a certain thickness. For my stringers I used 3x layers of 1708 biaxial, which is going to equal about 10-12 layers of 6 oz cloth. That stuff is pretty thin. You might want to buy some biaxial "tape" for tabbing and then use the 6 oz cloth to cover the stringer tops.

Keep us posted.

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I am somehow emotionally attached to this damn boat. I can?t explain it but my mission is to see it back on the water in all its glory??.

Oh lord, it's spreading!

quick....throw a match at the thing and save your self the pain !!! :D

rays have a way of growing on ya dont they? awesome boats.

as far as the stringer cloth goes....the more the merrier. on a stringer. id go at least three with the 6 oz.....plus since your using epoxy the water proofing capeabilities will be a lot higher.....at 4 layers of epoxy....water intrusion is allmost a non issue.

if you do decide to go down to a 3/4 inch string.......i would really add some dowells to the top of the srtings so the cloth will wrap properly.
at 1.5 thick....you will need to sand the edges down for the cloth to wrap with no air.

as far as the tabbing....that is uasually done with matt at 1 oz.....so the two layers of 6 will be fine.....just make sure you have good hull contact.

im looking foward to this one

cheers bud
oops

erikgreen

Captain

Are you sure you're converting the numbers right, oops?

1oz matt would be something like tissue paper thickness.... I personally used 17 oz fabric with 8 oz matt x3 layers to tab down the stringers...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just used the mat to hold the stringers in place while glassing.... 2 layers of 1oz.....(really strong)

the actual glass, (1708) was then adhered to the hull at 4 and 6 inch overlaps.

this made the traditional "tab" with the heavy cloth

erikgreen

Captain

Ah, gotcha.

Ernie C

Recruit

Ok need to ask a favor. Sounds like you & I have the same boat 1975 SeaRay SRV 220 cuddy. My problem is that my deck has been completly restored with no deck plates installed for inspection of fill tube & sending unit. The deck had already been replaced when we bought the boat( we beeing my wife and I).since then we have removed the carpet & refinished the deck with tintable bedliner. turned out great. Back to the problem I need to replace the sending unit & cut in deck plate to service filler & Vent line. Sounds like you have already removed your deck showing top of tank. Would greatly appreciate any insite into the location of said filler, vent line & sending unit.