4.3 Keeps Stalling Out

webberbo

Recruit
History first ,This is my first I/O boat & I didn't get it winterized properly so I cracked a perfectly good engine.the block I took out is Volvo Penta 4.3 GL PEFS I just put a new 4.3 GM replacement long block (Brother in-law 22 yr. GM Tech & me mechanicaly inclined ) everything went great went to try it out & it flashed rite up but seems like it runs out of gas after about 15 -20 seconds. put a new cap & rotor because it was coroded no change .Took the fuel line off the carb & there is fuel being pumped when engine is cranked over . During motor transplant I did have the intake & carb upside-down to clean off old gasket (brother-inlaw thinks that it may have had dirt in carb & turning it upside down was not good ). last night took off carb didn't see any amount of dirt in the bowl but I will blow it out before I put it back together ( just waiting for a carb kit ). As far as we can tell it is in the right firing order & have the timming set but can't get timming set accurately untill it will idle good. Any help will be appreciated

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 Keeps Stalling Out

Ayuh,....While I Don't do Volvos,... I'll take a Guess.....

Is this motor equiped with an Electric Fuel Pump,..??? I'm guessing Yes....
If So,...
The Fuel Pump draws power from the Starter during the Start,....
After that,.. It draws power thru an Oil Pressure Switch, in case the motor Fails, the Fuel Pump Stops....
I'm Guessing you left out the wiring thru the Switch, or the Switch is Bad.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 Keeps Stalling Out

Actually, Volvo doesn't use the oil pressure switch, they have a diode in the wiring harness that picks up power from the green wire on the back (L2 terminal) of the alternator. Start it up and see if you have power at that terminal on the alternator. If not, the alternator needs repaired or replaced. If you do have power there, expect an open diode in the wiring harness in that green wire.