selectric shift help!!!

gaspergoo9

Recruit
I am attempting to fix a friends 1971 evinrude selectric shift. It seems to be stuck in forward. Checked the voltage at the switches and everything seems to be fine. Next step would be to try the lower unit. I've hit a roadblock and do not know what to try next. Trying not to have to go to a repair shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: selectric shift help!!!

make sure no power is feeding down into the lower unit,, there is where the maginate dogs are located for forward and reverse....if no power feeding down may have to pull the lower unit... if its been sitting for a long period of time may be rusty and stuck together. let us know what you find, there are a few tricks that can be done down there

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

Check the wires ans see if they are getting votage. It will be in forward if no power but some one will be along to tell you more than I know.

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

gaspor, i may have told you wrong about the electric to lower unit i was basing it on my 1965 model, which has 2 clutch dogs sry

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

to test my '71 evinrude before i bought controls, i applied +12V from the battery to the GREEN wire that goes into the lower end, using a piece of average sized wire & a toggle switch.

if that doesnt give you a neutral, you need to test the green (blue as well) wire for resistance.

set your multimeter to ohms (try the 2 megaohm setting) and test the green lead, to ground, and the blue lead to ground.

if the resistance is very low, or are varied between the 2 there may be a wiring problem. if they test fine electrically, i'd look at dislodging the solenoids if they are stuck.

there are good threads on that, a rubber mallet may save the day.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is in forward, has to have electricity to lower to shift.
Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

gaspergoo9

Recruit

Thanks guys I'll give that a try and see what happens.One more thing then I'll leave ya'll alone. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the shifter.I would like to take it apart to clean everything its really dirty.So I can check everything from front to back.Trying not to leave anything out. Once again thanks for all the help I really could use all I can get.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Why does the engine have to be cranking to test? Can you just not apply voltage and then give the pull start a small pull to see if the shifter moves? Seems a lot better than cranking a dry water pump for a long time and/or pumping gas through the entire system.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

this was given to me by someone, i found it very handy.

Attachments

• overallSwitch.jpg
    overallSwitch.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

gaspergoo9

Recruit

This motor does not have a pull start its an electric start.I check the green and blue wires for resistence and I got 8.24 to 8.30 on both wires.Then I tried applying 12volts to the green wire at the lower unit.And tried to crank the engine still got nothing.The guy who owned it before must have work on it because the green and blue wires on the lower unit are spliced. Before they go into the lower unit they change to tan and purple with a green strip.Which makes it harder to know what he has already done.I'll try to see if the soelenoids are stuck.Not really sure what to look for though.I'm just a beginner.Thanks again

F_R

Supreme Mariner

For whoever asked, the motor is shifted by hydraulic pressure, not electricity. The electric part only operates the solenoids which close a pair of hydraulic valves.

Hydraulic pressure is supplied by an oil pump in the gearcase. Obviously the pump has to be rotating in order to provide any pressure. That is why it won't shift out of forward unless the motor is running or at least cranking.

gaspergoo9

Recruit

I have tried everything and now I guess its time to drop the lower unit.Is it hard to do.What should I be looking for with the solenoids.Will it be obvious if they are stuck.This is the first motor I attempt to take apart.Just don't want to make matters worse.Forgot to ask when I applied 12v to the green and blue wires can you here the solenoids open and close. thanks

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you trying all this with the engine running?

it can only shift out of forward when there is hydraulic pressure.
-->apply 12v to the green and fire it up

** I cannot hear my solenoids.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This motor does not have a pull start its an electric start.I check the green and blue wires for resistence and I got 8.24 to 8.30 on both wires.Then I tried applying 12volts to the green wire at the lower unit.And tried to crank the engine still got nothing.The guy who owned it before must have work on it because the green and blue wires on the lower unit are spliced. Before they go into the lower unit they change to tan and purple with a green strip.Which makes it harder to know what he has already done.I'll try to see if the soelenoids are stuck.Not really sure what to look for though.I'm just a beginner.Thanks again

So, to sum it all up, you say it does not go into neutral with 12 volts applied to the green wire and motor running or at least cranking, is that correct?

If that is correct, you do have a problem somewhere between there and the bottom end. Or in the bottom end. That patched cable could be a problem. It goes through water and must be sealed so water cannot get at the wire.

The solenoids don't get out of adjustment unless somebody has been messing with them...and it sounds like somebody has been. The top end of the solenoid plungers must be flush with the center of
the solenoid body. And the wave washer must be in place on top of the pair, under the cover.

If this checks out, then the problem is hydraulic, not electric. If you have to go into the lower unit, it requires special tools. And a good service manual. Do not be deceived.