only here click while trying to start

bigbenrusky

Seaman Apprentice
Well to get tell you all the full info from the get go.. I have a 1985 Century 3500BR i just replaced the motor to a 350 Chevy small block due to lack on my part of getting all the water out before winter.. i have replaced the starter, silinoide and the slave silinoide..
before replaceing the slave silinoide tried to start and just clicked, so replaced the slave silinoide. still the same thing just clicks.. jumped the silinoide and the motor turns over.
so my question can anyone help? getting frustrated and running out of money to keep replaceing things.
need some subjestions...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: help

Re: help

sounds like you've found your problem.... replace the solenoid

bigbenrusky

Seaman Apprentice
Re: only here click while trying to start

already did.. replaced silinoid and slave..
starer is good too.

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Somewhere on here is a thread by Don detailing how to look for electrical gremlins and non-starting issues and the like. Do a search and you can probably find it. But from square one, you need to remove and clean and retighten all the connections that you can.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

if you jumped the solenoid acroos the terminals and it worked, replace the solenoid again. that is exactly what it does on the inside.

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check all of your connections. I'll say it again because I went through the same trouble and got super frustrated until I found a frayed wire near my negative terminal: Check all of your connections. Check the battery terminals, the starter solenoid, and starter for corrosion or a break in the wiring. If you don't have a multimeter or general wiring schematic, you should borrow one or buy one. The multimeter is a good tool because you can check voltage drops across your electronics when the key is turned into start. Also, by using the resistance setting, you can tell if wires are continuous (if you get a low resistance, the wire/connection is continuous; no reading at all means the connection is suspect).

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah, and quit buying parts until you're certain that it's bad. JB's troubleshooting guide that solved my problem is here:

November 14th, 2003, 09:37 AM
JB

Outboard won't start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outboard Wont Start:

1. Electric start:
Does the starter engage and rotate the flywheel at a good (normal) speed?
If yes, go to 2.

Does starter spin, but bendix gear (small gear on starter shaft) does not engage the flywheel?
Lubricate bendix spiral shaft.

Does the solenoid click?
If yes, measure voltage at the starter terminal to battery ground with starter engaged.
If 12 V, repair or replace starter.
If less than 9V measure voltage at large solenoid input terminal (from battery).
If less than 9V, go to 3.
If 12V, replace solenoid.

Solenoid does not click when key is turned to start. Measure voltage at small solenoid terminal.
0 volts? Troubleshoot kill switch (lanyard connected?), battery, starter switch and neutral start switch in controller.
12 volts? Replace solenoid.

2. Electric and manual start: Flywheel rotates but engine does not attempt to start. .
Remove a spark plug, reconnect it and hold it against engine block. Keep it there while turning engine over.

Does it make a hot, blue spark when attempting to start?
If no, troubleshoot ignition system.

Has hot, blue spark?
Squirt some fuel mix (NOT ether) into the carb(s). Does it attempt to start? *
If yes, you have inadequate fuel. Troubleshoot fuel system and review starting procedure.

If no, check that carb is not flooding from failed float needle.

Still wont attempt to start. Check compression. If bad, troubleshoot mechanicals.

Good compression on all cylinders. Check flywheel for sheared key, check crankcase for sealing at carb(s), inlet manifold and bypass covers.

3. Low voltage at starter when engaged.
Measure voltage at battery terminals.
If below 12.6 volts with all electrics turned off, recharge or replace battery.

Measure battery voltage with starter engaged.
If below 9 volts, recharge or replace battery.
Remove and clean connections on battery-to-solenoid cable, battery-to-engine block cable and solenoid-to-starter cable. While they are off, inspect each for corrosion, broken insulation with corrosion and weak points.
Replace corroded or weak cables.

If problem persists, remove starter and clean all surfaces where engine block and starter connect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by JB : October 2nd, 2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edited for readability by JustMrWill. Thanks. :)

Bondo

Staff member

But from square one, you need to remove and clean and retighten all the connections that you can.

Ayuh,.... I completely Agree....

You probably have a Crapped Out Ground wire somewhere......
Nobody ever Cleans the Grounds,.. Only the Positives, If at all....

that was happening to me, but a new exide 1000 battery solved it. Did you check to see if your bat is swollen or low on water? the battery i had in mine was only 6 months old and had a small crack, completely ruined it, and it would only click.