1988 175 Merc black max weak spark?

poormanfishn

Recruit
Hello,

Thanks in advance for any responses. The boat sat for almost 2 years and I recently bought it. Compression checks were all over 110. Fuel was drained and filter changed. Was a little hard to start the first time on a garden hose but restarted easily after the first time. Took it to the lake and was again very hard to start. finally it started but was hard to keep it running. Eventually got it out on the lake and ran like a champ. Really strong and was pass'n jetski's. When we were going slow it got a hot alarm but put it back on step and temp guage started dropping. Didn't happen again after that. Got almost to the boat dock and it died. Would restart with some difficulty but died when i put it in gear. Got it home and went to testing. Fuel pump spits out fuel. Pulled plugs and they look good but are wet. Thinking about spray'n a shot of ether at it. It is equipped with a enricher instead of a choke and I hear it click. Maybe a weak spark? Is there a way to test the quality of the spark?

Thanks again,

Greg

poormanfishn

Recruit
Re: 1988 175 Merc black max weak spark?

I have some ohm test results on ign switch and stator but would like to bounce them off someone if there is anyone listening. I have no spark to speak of and the stator gave me a reading of 1.2Kohms when book said it should be 5.4Kohms on blue white and red white leads. It also gave me 76 ohms between the red and ground, and gave me 77ohms between the red white and ground. The book said 125 ohms. Also, the shift box side of remote harness connector had no continuity between pins 4 and 7. What does this tell me? Then my ignition switch test failed to show continuity between the black and black yellow terminal when in off position. I gather that I need a new stator and new switch. If this is right, should I invest in the 14 amp stator or is the one i have fine. I do run a dual battery system. Any idea's would be appreciated so I don't needlessly spend a buncha money and boat still don't work. Wife would be even madder.

Thanks,

Greg

j_martin

Admiral

I have some ohm test results on ign switch and stator but would like to bounce them off someone if there is anyone listening. I have no spark to speak of and the stator gave me a reading of 1.2Kohms when book said it should be 5.4Kohms on blue white and red white leads. It also gave me 76 ohms between the red and ground, and gave me 77ohms between the red white and ground. The book said 125 ohms. Also, the shift box side of remote harness connector had no continuity between pins 4 and 7. What does this tell me? Then my ignition switch test failed to show continuity between the black and black yellow terminal when in off position. I gather that I need a new stator and new switch. If this is right, should I invest in the 14 amp stator or is the one i have fine. I do run a dual battery system. Any idea's would be appreciated so I don't needlessly spend a buncha money and boat still don't work. Wife would be even madder.

Thanks,

Greg

Stator readings are made with the wires disconnected from the switchboxes. If you did that, I'd check it again with another meter. It'd be unusual to have everything low at once, unless the stator got smoked because it's the wrong one.

a 16 amp stator has to be under a 16 amp flywheel, which is the one with the ring of bolts in a flex plate. If it's under a 40 amp (solid) flywheel, it will smoke. A 40 amp stator won't physically fit under a 16 amp wheel.

hope it helps
John

poormanfishn

Recruit

it was the stator. it fires right up now but over heats. oh well, I have to have something to do.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

sat for 2 years... Impeller time!